jerky 101

Started by cnelles, December 31, 2005, 12:24:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TomG

Quote from: Habanero Smoker on July 04, 2006, 07:07:27 PM
Smoke is a very good antimicrobial.

Hab, I read the question as what kind of smoke, how much and for how long?  Here is an excerpt from M.W. Paparella..http://www.intercom.net/local/shore_journal/mwp10107.html

"Generated wood smoke per se has antibacterial properties. Unfortunately, its depostion on a product is dependent upon many variables, such as temperature, salt content, dehydration, amount of smoke constituents deposited, and penetration of thes constituents. These factors are often hard to control.
By comparison, liquid smoke would appear to be more desirable because the manufacturer guarantees a uniform product. Concentrations can be controlled so that uniform flavor, color and inhibitory properties could be achieved. It is also safer because the tar fraction from the generated smoke has been removed. This fraction contains carcinogenic substances, such as benzopyrene.
Liquid smoke is approved by the FDA for food use and has been incorporated for a considerable time now in such items as bologna, hot dogs, baked beans and a host of other foods."

Art, here's Jerky Guy's web site.  I'm sure he will forward the info you need.  http://www.thejerkyguy.com/

Habanero Smoker

I didn't read the article, since I'm not interested in jerky at this time. I was responding to your statement, and wasn't aware you were quoting from the article.

Here are more complete and updated articles addressing the issue.

http://www.fsis.usda.gov/PDF/C-17_New_Technology_FY2004_Final_Report.pdf

Good source:
http://www.fsis.usda.gov/Search/Search_Results/Index.asp?q=jerky&mode=simple&num=10&as_occt=any&site=FSIS

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

asa

Quote from: Habanero Smoker on July 04, 2006, 01:40:23 PMIf you are looking for a post by a specific member, click on the member tab, find the member you are looking for jerkyg, then click on his user name. When his profile comes up scroll down to the bottom of the page and click on "Show the lasts posts of this person", and you should be able to find what you are looking for. Especially in this case; jerkyg only has 12 posts.

Thanks for the tip - I appreciate it. So, what I found is 6 posts left. That means he must have deleted the other 6 with his "tips" in them.

So it goes,
Enjoy good Southern-style smoked barbecue -- it's not just for breakfast anymore!
Play old-time music - it's better than it sounds!
     And
Please Note: The cook is not responsible for dog hair in the food!!

asa

And thanks TomG and HS for the follow-up info on smoke. It's all very helpful. Hope the thread continues on a little longer. Some of those references make jerky sound like a dangerous undertaking. It does raise a question I've had that seems related, about vacuum packing these smoked meats. That is, what about heat-treating stuff after vacuum-packing - like one does when canning veggies? I'm thinking of heating in a water bath, say at ~180 degrees for however long it takes to heat through. I assume that would work with something like jerky. What about for something like pulled BBQ or a rack of ribs. Would it then be safe to send to someone by fedex at room temp?
Just wondering,
     Art
Enjoy good Southern-style smoked barbecue -- it's not just for breakfast anymore!
     And

Habanero Smoker

I just finished reading this whole thread. I had fogotten most of what went on at the time.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

iceman

Quote from: asa on July 05, 2006, 06:26:33 PM
I'm thinking of heating in a water bath, say at ~180 degrees for however long it takes to heat through. I assume that would work with something like jerky. What about for something like pulled BBQ or a rack of ribs. Would it then be safe to send to someone by fedex at room temp?
Just wondering,
     Art
Hi Art;
If your jerky is properly cured, smoked, dried, etc. it will last weeks and weeks in a vacum sealed bag without further treatment. If you want to keep it longer then just pop it in the freezer.
As far as meat like ribs, don't go there. The shelf stable pouched meats you see in the market are done in foil pouches with special equipment that either treats the product under extremly high pressure in sterile conditions or it is run through a complicated retort system at high temps.
You could can the smoked meat and process like canning meat in the canning books but it's not so good. You have to under cook and under smoke the meat or it comes out way to strong when you can it.
If you want to send meat to someone, vacum seal it then chill it and ship it in an insulated pouch with some food safe gel freeze packs. They will last about three days that way. Hope this helps you out.

Oldman

Dang,

And I thought I was the only person to pick up the hammer... Good job folks on calling a peckhead a peckerhead.   Don't know how I missed this thread until now.  This jerky dude by now must have much-o hair on his hand.

More than likely his only reason for coming here was to sell his line of goods.
QuoteDON'T MISS THE OPPORTUNITY TO BE A DISTRIBUTOR - FOR MORE INFORMATION,

Anyone with an ego as large as this would never last in my gaming or business world:

What a dickhead.

Someone once suggested we add to the recipe site a NO-NO list of suppliers... I think he would fit the bill.

Olds

Click On The Portal To Be Transported To Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes~~!!! 

iceman

Holy moley Old's where was that thread? I totally missed that one. Good catch.

Oldman

Now I'm pissed....from this dickhead's web-site:

QuoteIf you are a member of the military or a family member of one of our fine service people in the middle east, please do not ask for free samples. We would love to be able to send free jerky to show our support. But, we receive literally hundreds of requests and to do so would put us out of business. Though, if you can send us proof (military ID, company/unit, base address, etc.), we can at least give a small discount on the jerky order.

Hey A-hole I can see that you never or any of your blood line ever gave to make us free... You are a piece of Chit IMO.

I won't get into what I sent to those boys who wrote me.  Ya a couple of months it pinched but we lived through it.  You are truely a leech on this country.

By this weekend you will be the first of the NO-NO list and I will use your own web-site to justify this action.  I already got it in jpg  of all you got to say and  a link to see it.  So go ahead and make any changes you like... I pixed you. I'm going to make it a project to get this info gets out to the ring.... Bye bye you piece of Hog Chit....

//SIGNED//
Raye Minor
AKA "Olds"

Click On The Portal To Be Transported To Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes~~!!! 

TomG

I always wondered when someone would pickup on jerkoff's flag waving, patriotic policy statement.

asa

Quote from: iceman on July 06, 2006, 09:16:11 AM
If you want to send meat to someone, vacum seal it then chill it and ship it in an insulated pouch with some food safe gel freeze packs. They will last about three days that way. Hope this helps you out.

Thanks ice. Good advice. And I guess you could start with a frozen vacuum-pack of either ribs or pulled pork with the cold packs if you wanted to be extra sure.

And to the rest, sorry for opening up this passionate discussion again. I just wonder who suggested to him the name "Jerky Guy" - someone with a sense of humor I'll bet.

later,
    asa
     And