Quick and Easy Turkey

Started by Scotty Dog, November 30, 2011, 09:07:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Scotty Dog

Still new to the Bradley family of smoking.  I purchased a fresh turkey at Safeway several days after the holiday on sale.  They were on sale for 70% discount.  I thought I would do a test to see how it would turn out without all the prep that usually goes into smoking a bird.  I cut the back out and hind quarters and kept the breast whole.  I rubbed some EVOO and my favorite dry rub I use for chicken while the smoker was getting up to temp.  I placed it in the smoker with the breast down on one trey and the hind quarters on another.  I smoked the bird for 4 hours with Maple wood and did not rotate anything.  I pulled the bird after 4 hours and wrapped it in heavy foil with an IT of 165 F.  After cooling for an hour I placed it in the fridge for 24 hours in the foil packs.  The next day I put the foil packs in the oven at 300 F for 3 hours.  The hind quarters were pulled and left to rest an hour in the foil with an IT of 200 F.  I uncovered the breast, basted it with butter and baked it at 400 F until the IT was 180 +.   Everyone loved the tender juicy meat and said it was not over smokey.  We had a traditional Bradley bird for Turkey day with 24 hour brine and butter injection.... and the group enjoyed both birds about the same.  Now I wonder if the fuss of extra prep is worth doing next time?

Kummok

My vote is to achieve taste Nirvana with as few steps, complications, and ingredients as possible...sounds like you're there!

Caneyscud

What prep are you referring to?  Our turkey was on Black Friday - we had lasagne for Thanksgiving.  Thawed a 13# bird my daughter had in her freezer.  Washed it off and sprinkled some Montery Chicken rub on it stuck a 1/2 stick of butter, 1/2 of a sliced onion, and a couple of jalapenos in the cavity and stuck it in the smoker, breast side down, for a few hours, took it out and sliced it.  Moist and juicy and tasty. 

The only problem, was that I had to act as Mr Puck Advancer.  I had a misalignment on the puck tower into the SG and the pucks didn't have enough room to drop down from the tower.  So instead of stopping the smoke and taking the SG apart to properly align the tower, I just acted as the substitute puck advancer.  I think I was done in less than  6 1/2 hours to an IT of 165 in the deep parts of the breast and thigh - about what I was expecting.   In at 9:00 out by 3:30 - even with wind, open door every 30 minutes, and coolish temps. 
"A man that won't sleep with his meat don't care about his barbecue" Caneyscud

"If we're not supposed to eat animals, how come they're made out of meat?"

Kummok

Quote from: Caneyscud on November 30, 2011, 01:39:33 PM
The only problem, was that I had to act as Mr Puck Advancer.....

"Grandpa, what did you used to do?"
"I advanced pucks"
"Huh?"
"I advanced pucks. Pushed a button to make smoke...then stuck a pocket knife blade into the button to get it unstuck"
"Oh?!?!.....GRANDMA, why did you marry Grandpa???"   ;) ;)

Wish I had a dollar for every time I've had to act as Mr Puck Advancer!!  :o

viper125

Safe way sells fresh turkey? I thought those where all pre brined.
A few pics from smokes....
http://photobucket.com/smokinpics
Inside setup.

Habanero Smoker

A fresh turkey may or may not be enhanced. A manufacturer can label a turkey fresh, even though it has been enhanced. For example, if you check the labeling on a Butterball fresh turkey, you will see it is enhanced. Generally "fresh" turkey means it hasn't been frozen. The freezing point of meat is 28°F. I believe it can be taken to that point, and still be called fresh.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

viper125

Hmmm! Well never heard of any thing like that. To me a fresh turkey chicken,pork or any meat is fresh. Meaning raw,untouched,no brine or any thing. Really has nothing to do with freezing most the time. I call fresh pork,pork cured pork ham. To me any time you add something to meat its no longer fresh.
Inside setup.

Scotty Dog

This was labeled Fresh / never been frozen.  The advantage I found is I could take it straight to the smoker with no thaw time.  I always suspected it was enhanced with a brine already.  I went back to the store today and they were all gone.

viper125

And I'm not disagreeing. Just wondering if you can really buy one in the store. I have never seen them,but there's a lot people don't see unless pointed out. When I get fresh meat it always means going to farm or a small butcher. Not that I mind. I love buying meat except at check out. LOL
Inside setup.

Habanero Smoker

Quote from: viper125 on December 01, 2011, 06:46:06 AM
Hmmm! Well never heard of any thing like that. To me a fresh turkey chicken,pork or any meat is fresh. Meaning raw,untouched,no brine or any thing. Really has nothing to do with freezing most the time. I call fresh pork,pork cured pork ham. To me any time you add something to meat its no longer fresh.

Read the label on a butterball "fresh" turkey, is the best answer I can give you. In the food processing business have their own industry standard definitions.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

viper125

Oh I know what you mean I looked. They also call chicken free roaming if they only have access to out side weather they go out or not does not matter. Just a simple way of making more money. Laws permit it so they use it.
Inside setup.