Cold Smoke Ash Trey Question

Started by Scotty Dog, December 01, 2011, 08:17:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Scotty Dog

I just set up my cold smoke box and plan on doing some cheese.  I understand the concern or need to allow the cheese to age after smoking.  I would like to know if slow smoking other foods has the same issue?  I do not hear any concerns of cold smoking salmon, or pork and then eating.  Why is there any difference in what you cold smoke?

Scotty Dog

I noticed that some cold smoke boxes do not appear to provide room for a water bowl  to extinguish the puck.  Could this be a cause of the ash trey taste?

GusRobin

Don't know the scientific answer but I think it is how cheese absorbs the smoke. What I do is stagger the smoke time. I will take a chunk out after an hour, hour and 1/2, etc. That way I can eat the ones that were taken out earlier than a month. Of course the ones that are in longer and aged longer end up tasting better. But I get to eat some earlier doing it my way.
"It ain't worth missing someone from your past- there is a reason they didn't make it to your future."

"Life is tough, it is even tougher when you are stupid"

Don't curse the storm, learn to dance in the rain.

Ka Honu

Gus - Not sure if the math works the same way in Alabama but I just smoke a new batch about a month before I run out of the old one.  Jes' sayin'.