Mmm Cheese!

Started by Fernslinger, December 02, 2011, 11:32:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fernslinger

Did another batch of cheese a few weeks ago.  Just sharing some pics with everyone.

Pepper Jack, 2 year aged extra sharp white cheddar, med cheddar and jack on 1:40 of apple smoke

ghost9mm

Well done...nice color...
Digital Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
The Big Easy with Srg grill
MAK 2 Star General
Char Broil gas grill

Fernslinger

I was worried how the aged white cheddar would come out. It has a hard crumbly texture sort of like parmasian but softer. But man, after the month mellowing it was fantastistic!

SouthernSmoked

Mmmmm.....Niiiiiice!

Great color on the cheese.
SouthernSmoked
WeQ4u - BBQ Team

KCBS CBJ
(2) - Stainless Steel 4 Rack's with Dual probe PID
1- Digital, 6 Rack
1-PBS
(2) Bradley Cold Smoke Attachment
(2) Backwoods Smokers
(1) Chicken Little

DTAggie

Very nice color.  Almost cold enough for me to crank up a big batch.

GusRobin

Nice, very nice. That's it gonna have to make smoke some cheese this weekend.
"It ain't worth missing someone from your past- there is a reason they didn't make it to your future."

"Life is tough, it is even tougher when you are stupid"

Don't curse the storm, learn to dance in the rain.

muebe

Nice batch!

It is almost time for me to make another batch ;)
Natural Gas 4 burner stainless RED with auto-clean
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)

Sailor

Enough ain't enough and too much is just about right.

Quiggs

Great pic's!!! As a Newbie to the electric smoker I got a question...Since  I live in the hottest city in the USA, I was wondering what the outdoor temp should be to try smoking some cheese...  It is now 48 degrees at night, and looks like it will be this way for a few days...  Is this cold eneough to try??  & what wood flavor & how long did you you smoke cheese??

Quiggs
Lake Havasu, AZ

GusRobin

I usually smoke cheese for about 1 hr and use lighter flavor - apple pecan cherry. primarily apple/pecan. The key is that you have to store it for a few weeks.

If your cabinet gets to warm, you can put a bucket of ice in the cabinet and it will help cool it down. Obviously, the cooler the ambient temperature the better.

You should also try to hook up some type of cold smoke adapter if you are able.
"It ain't worth missing someone from your past- there is a reason they didn't make it to your future."

Quiggs

GusRobin, thanks for reply!!  As you mentioned to "store" cheese.. I presume after the smoke??And does this mean in the open in a fridge or vacu sealed?

GusRobin

I wrap it in Saran wrap for a few days then vac -seal.

Quiggs

Fernslinger

Quote from: Quiggs on December 04, 2011, 05:48:28 PM
Great pic's!!! As a Newbie to the electric smoker I got a question...Since  I live in the hottest city in the USA, I was wondering what the outdoor temp should be to try smoking some cheese...  It is now 48 degrees at night, and looks like it will be this way for a few days...  Is this cold eneough to try??  & what wood flavor & how long did you you smoke cheese??

Quiggs
Lake Havasu, AZ

Should be plenty could enough. I did some during the days in the summer here and it was OK. Use a mild fruit wood like apple or cherry. Get at least an hour of smoke on the cheese...I like a little more. It is all personal preference. Make sure and let the cheese sit for a month after vacuum packing so it gets a chance to "mellow out" or it will kinda have an ash tray taste to it. Good luck!