Mmm Cheese!

Started by Fernslinger, December 02, 2011, 11:32:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Quiggs

Fernslinger, thanks for the info... gonna try this next weekend!!

Quiggs

Oysterhog

If you do have the cold smoke adaptor, I pack ice around the hose in the summer and have a tray of ice in the cabinet. Lowers the temp 10° or more. I smoke for two hours, vac seal for two weeks or more. You wouldn't be Dennis Quigg, from McClellan AFB,would you?

Quiggs

Oysterhog, not Dennis, Dave is me name & live in Lake Havasu AZ....thanks for the info on the ice idea...

hybridcx

that looks killer!
Just curious as to the shelf life vac packed and in the fridge? trying to gauge how much to make.. and also is it worth the 90$ for the cold smoke adapter or will I get by with the ice? I live in Washington so pretty mild temps. thanks

KyNola

I just opened some cheese that had been in the frig vac sealed for a year.  It was fine and tasted good. 

Before you spend the money for the cold smoke adapter try doing some cheese with just the puck burner running, no main element.  Take a couple of the gallon ziplock bags, fill them with ice and place in the tower, being careful not to completely cover any of the racks.  See if you can keep the tower temp under 90F.  If the temp begins to creep up, you can always crack the door open just a little to let some of the heat escape.  Don't worry about the amount of smoke that escapes.  You will still have plenty of smoke in the tower.

Having said alloof that, I have the cold smoke adapter and prefer it over the ice thing.  You can also make one with a cardboard box and dryer vent hose.

hybridcx

sounds good, and good to know it will last a bit in the fridge. I will try the ice thing first and see where that gets me, thanks

Fernslinger

Quote from: hybridcx on December 28, 2011, 09:35:09 PM
that looks killer!
Just curious as to the shelf life vac packed and in the fridge? trying to gauge how much to make.. and also is it worth the 90$ for the cold smoke adapter or will I get by with the ice? I live in Washington so pretty mild temps. thanks

I don't have the cold smoke adapter and have even smoked cheese in the middle of the day during summer here in Cali. You should be fine...I think the cheese is good for a year or so vacuum sealed although I doubt it will last that long :)