Pork Loin??

Started by Wolverinesmoker, December 02, 2011, 02:21:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wolverinesmoker

Anybody ever smoke a pork loin before. One of my buddies, who owns a green egg, said that you have to be careful for them not to dry out. However loins were on sale and i was looking for something quick to do for the weekend. He also gave me the idea to wrap it in bacon to keep moist. Anyway any tips would be appreciated. Thanks for all the help I love this forum it has been a huge help and I think I found a new hobby :)

Smokeville

Hi -- and welcome to the wonderful world of smoking!

Your buddy is right -- they can dry out but only if you overcook them, which is very easy to do. I wouldn't wrap it in bacon -- I think that will only stop the smoke from really entering the meat since the smoke/cook time is short.

I once did a lot of pork loin for a Canada Day bbq we were having, so I smoked them to get the internal temp to about 140F. For a loin that is about 3 inches in diameter, that took about 2 hours (I recall and I hope I'm right). Use a meat thermometer!

Then I sliced them thin, kind of like Canadian bacon size slices, and finished them on a real hot grill. Took about 1 minute a side to get grill marks. We served them on a bun and the pork was delicious.

Hope that helps.

Regards, Rich

smoker pete

I would rub the Pork Loin with some EVOO for the glue and dust it with your favorite rub/seasoning.  Carolina Treet for glue and Jan's Dry Rub would also be a combination.  Preheat the Bradley to 225ºF and apply 3 hours of smoke.  Have had good success with Hickory, Apple and/or a mix of 2 to 1 ratio with Pecan and Special Blend.  Pull the Pork Loin when the IT hits 145º-150º or higher depending on your comfort level.  Rest under a foil tent for 20 minutes before serving.  My experiences show that the Pork Loin will be extremely moist as you can see below:

Click the Smokin Pig to visit Smokin' Pete's BBQ Bl

beefmann

agrees with pete, 160 max on the loin,,, and they cook quickly

KyNola

Quote from: smoker pete on December 02, 2011, 02:38:44 PM
I would rub the Pork Loin with some EVOO for the glue and dust it with your favorite rub/seasoning.  Carolina Treet for glue and Jan's Dry Rub would also be a combination.  Preheat the Bradley to 225ºF and apply 3 hours of smoke.  Have had good success with Hickory, Apple and/or a mix of 2 to 1 ratio with Pecan and Special Blend.  Pull the Pork Loin when the IT hits 145º-150º or higher depending on your comfort level.  Rest under a foil tent for 20 minutes before serving.  My experiences show that the Pork Loin will be extremely moist as you can see below:

Pete has nailed it 100% for you.  145 will be prefect and will be moist moist moist.  It will also be fully cooked.  Even the FDA lowered their "safe" internal temp on pork loin to 145.  Bring it out, let it rest for 20-25 minutes and then slice.

Wolverinesmoker

Awesome thanks guys, just made a batch of Jan's Dry Rub and will be smoking tomorrow.