TBE

Started by JZ, December 04, 2011, 08:53:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JZ

Not sure if I should post this here, nut since everyone swears by these for poultry I will ask here.

Does anyone know where in BC Canada that I can get one of these - ya I know this is the wrong time of year to look for a BBQ related item.

GusRobin

if you don"t get any good responses here, try the Charbroil forum:

http://sizzleonthegrill.com/user-forums/
"It ain't worth missing someone from your past- there is a reason they didn't make it to your future."

"Life is tough, it is even tougher when you are stupid"

Don't curse the storm, learn to dance in the rain.

muebe

Did you check Costco?
Natural Gas 4 burner stainless RED with auto-clean
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)

ghost9mm

You might want to try one of your Home Depot up your way...
Digital Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
The Big Easy with Srg grill
MAK 2 Star General
Char Broil gas grill

JZ

I have previously checked out the local Coscto and Home Depot ..... neither one has them. But it is probably the wrong time of year to be looking anyways.

Gus - thanks for the link but now I have a new problem. I see on this is site that there a multitude of products available, TBE, SRG, Electric SRG and on and on. Now I have too many choices.

I know I can convince the wife to get yet another outdoor cooking device because she really likes the chicken from the Bradley except for the chewy skin. So I tell her that I need this new thing to crisp up the skin. So I can get away with one device and I better make sure it is the right one. So what is it ----- TBE, SRG or electric SRG and if I get an SRG does it replace the DBS since it also smokes?

TMB

Lowes here in Alabama have plenty on hand and I know one of the Home Depots does as well.   Check on-line for their stores you can get a real good deal on one.

I would recomend the SRG if you need a grill as well
Live, ride, eat well and thank God!

GusRobin

I would get the SRG since as Tommie says you can also use it as a grill. I wouldn't say it replaces the DBS, rather it compliments it. I don't think that its "smoker" ability is that great for longer smokes unless you do some of the mods that Tommie has done. (Tommie ring, some vent holes). However I did do a lamb roast with some pepper, rosemary, thyme pucks chopped up that worked great.
So if you are going to get one, I would get the SRG if the budget allows. I don't know enough about the electric version. May be good for roasting but I don't like an electric grill.
"It ain't worth missing someone from your past- there is a reason they didn't make it to your future."

"Life is tough, it is even tougher when you are stupid"

Don't curse the storm, learn to dance in the rain.

OldHickory

I found a pretty good deal on Amazon.com about three weeks ago, free shipping here in the States.
Bradley DS4 with Auber PID and dual element mod
Char-Broil SRG
Weber kettle with rotisserie
Charmglow 5 burner with rotisserie pgg
Pit Barrel Smoker

We the people own this United States Of America,and the Constitution is our owners manual.

JZ

You guys south of the border get all kinds of good deals.

Since I already have 2 Bradleys and 2 good quality grills/BBQ's so there does not appear to be an advantage for me to get the SRG instead of the TBE, unless there is something else I am not aware of.

mikecorn.1

Quote from: JZ on December 05, 2011, 03:31:06 PM

Since I already have 2 Bradleys and 2 good quality grills/BBQ's so there does not appear to be an advantage for me to get the SRG instead of the TBE, unless there is something else I am not aware of.
Nope. Cause the SRG smoker feature  is pretty much lame. (IMHO) it does do a great job on the grilling and roasting. To smoke in the SRG you need to use a Tommy ring on the bottom. ( all credit to TMB :))

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mike

TMB

Quote from: mikecorn.1 on December 06, 2011, 08:42:07 AM

Nope. Cause the SRG smoker feature  is pretty much lame. (IMHO) it does do a great job on the grilling and roasting. To smoke in the SRG you need to use a Tommy ring on the bottom. ( all credit to TMB :))

I wish I registered that name  ;).      The SRG will do a good job for an all around cooker but no it's not a smoker.  Now if you make the mods to an SRG that I have to mine, then you will be surprised
Live, ride, eat well and thank God!

mikecorn.1

Quote from: TMB on December 06, 2011, 12:51:14 PM

Nope. Cause the SRG smoker feature  is pretty much lame. (IMHO) it does do a great job on the grilling and roasting. To smoke in the SRG you need to use a Tommy ring on the bottom. ( all credit to TMB  :))

I wish I registered that name  ;).      The SRG will do a good job for an all around cooker but no it's not a smoker.  Now if you make the mods to an SRG that I have to mine, then you will be surprised
;) :) 8)

Mike

viper125

Quote from: TMB on December 06, 2011, 12:51:14 PM

Well don't see anything lame about it. It's not advertised as a smoker, from what I see it's just what is advertised plus more. A very versatile cooker. I also use a double gas grill that's not a smoker. I find every new tool ads versatility and with this I hope to have a decent cooker to do meat and things in while camping and to make the skin on foul editable. After smoking the skin is good to chew on and has good flavor but not really any thing I want to swallow. Different folks different strokes I guess.

A few pics from smokes....
http://photobucket.com/smokinpics
Inside setup.