First Big Ham.

Started by itchybeard, December 13, 2011, 06:41:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Habanero Smoker

That sure is a nice slicer.

It will mellow some, but I've found if you fry it as steaks, the salt taste becomes more concentrated. I have been experimenting with the recipe, and have reduced the salt. I've had a chance to taste the ham yesterday, that I had prepared with less salt, and the taste was less salty, but not quite where I want it. So I will make further adjustments when I make an Easter ham. I will be revising the recipe on the recipe site some time this morning.

Yesterday, I didn't want to hassle with slicing the ham at the last minute. So on Saturday, I sliced it up and wrapped it tightly, and Sunday morning placed in in a pan and reheated it in an orange sauce. It was nicknamed "The Throw Away Ham", because it was almost thrown out by accident. It came out great and there wasn't a slice left. After reheating in the orange sauce, it greatly reduced the saltiness.

I'll post the orange sauce recipe in the Recipe's In Development, section when I get a chance.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

itchybeard

Thanks HS for the information. I will try the orange sauce.
Cheers.
Happy Smoking ><((((((o>~~~~~
Itchy

Just coming dear...:D

Habanero Smoker

Quote from: itchybeard on January 03, 2012, 03:52:14 PM
Thanks HS for the information. I will try the orange sauce.
Cheers.

That reminds me I never got around to posting the sauce I made. I'll try to post it tomorrow in the Recipes In Development section.

After tasting the Christmas ham, I revised the recipe and reduced the salt by 3 ounces. I will be doing another ham for Easter; and will reduce the salt further to see how that will turn out.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)