Full Beef Tenderloin advice

Started by msd130, December 05, 2011, 07:31:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

msd130

Guys, Im thinking of smoking some full beef tenderloins for christmas dinner and never did them before.
Any advice on smoking them would be great.....
Is it a stupid move to do them or should I go with Prime Rib?  :-\

Smokeville

Speaking simply from the beef taste point-of-view, I would go with prime rib over tenderloin. Tenderloin doesn't have enough fat to give any real flavour, which is why it gets wrapped in bacon or served with a sauce so often in restaurants.

Rich

SnellySmokesEm

Personally I would trim the fat and remove the chain.  Then I would pan sear and finish in the oven.  Beef tenderloin is so tender it should be cooked hot and fast.  Just my opinion.  Save the chain for fajitas or beef stroganoff. 
Is it bad if my wife refers to the smoker as "The Mistress"?
MasterBuilt Electric Smokehouse
Charbroil Red 4 Burner With Auto Clean
Big Easy Smoker Roaster Grill
BBQ Evangelist

Ka Honu

I'm with Snelly on the hot & fast for tenderloin.  Might cold smoke a bit beforehand but wouldn't cook in the smoker.

Habanero Smoker

As others have stated cold smoke then hit it with higher heat, is the safest for best outcome. I've never smoked/cooked a tenderloin, but I have smoked/cooked a top loin (strip loin) and low and slow may also work. You need to keep a watchful eye on the internal temperature.

Here is a link to my top loin. I feel the key is to make a paste with your seasoning and/or rub with a beaten egg white:
Top Loin

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

msd130

Thanx for the comment... think Ill stick with the prime ribs.... ;D

SiFumar

I think you will be making the right choice to go with the prime rib.  Much more flavor and if treated right, just as tender.

Smokeville

Quote from: msd130 on December 05, 2011, 02:02:47 PM

BTW, this advice you got doesn't apply to pork tenderloin. You do have to be careful about how quickly it will cook in the Bradley, but with a nice rub it is divine..... as is pork loin and almost every cut of pork I can think of....

Rich

Shadow beb

I used a "drunken tenderloin" from the Smoke and Spice cookbook. My family says it is the best steak they have ever eaten and I agree! I save the chain meat from the trimming to make cheese steak sandwichs the next day too. Google it, you will be loved!

hal4uk

Quote from: msd130 on December 05, 2011, 02:02:47 PM
GOOD thinking.  Rib Loin.  200? low and slow.
Don't even THINK about all those STUPID recipes on the net (that recommend 350?).
Pull at no more than 125? IT, and let it REST for at least 15 minutes.

Or, you could just take a weed torch to it.
Your call.   :o  ::)  8)
Awrighten.

No Swine Left Behind KCBS BBQ Team
Peoria Custom Cookers "Meat Monster"
Lang Clone - 'Blue October'
Original Bradley Smoker
MAK 1 Star General
Traeger Lil' Tex
Backwoods Chubby

ACW3

I have cooked quite a few beef tenderloins over the years.  Here is a marinade I like with tenderloin.  I have cooked this indirect on my old Weber Kettle and also on my MAK using a probe to monitor the IT.

1/4 C  Wesson oil
1/4 C  olive oil
1/4 C  red wine (I use a Cab or Merlot, usually)
1/4 C  soy sauce
1 Tbl   minced garlic
1 tsp   black pepper
1 Tbl   Rosemary

Marinade a minimum of four hours (longer is better).  Cook to your desired IT.  I usually go for rare on the larger end of the tenderloin.  That means the smaller end will be more done (like medium) for those who like their beef less rare.  I then slice the tenderloin into fairly thin slices.  Enjoy and let us know what you end up doing.

Art
MAK 2 Star (# 171)
Weber Kettle (old school charcoal)
KCBS CBJ
NCBS

Caneyscud

I've cooked a few cases of beef tenderloin in the past.  I've never really "smoked" them as in low-n-slow.   However, I have cooked them over a very smokey fire.  Did not use any marinade typically, (at times with a sweet, coffee marinade) but did rub them with walnut oil and sprinkled salt and lots of cracked pepper - then finish with a butter with diced garlic and cilantro.  or even a grated horseradish and bread crumb topping.

1 cup panko (Japanese bread crumbs; available at Whole Foods and some supermarkets)
1/2 cup grated horseradish (jarred is fine)
1/2 cup (1 stick) butter, melted
1 tablespoon oil
5 cloves garlic, minced
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
6 (1-inch-thick) filet mignons
1 tablespoon butter
"A man that won't sleep with his meat don't care about his barbecue" Caneyscud

"If we're not supposed to eat animals, how come they're made out of meat?"

Old Smokey

Hi, Guys!  I agree with not doing the beef tenderloin on the smoker.  I do mine on the grill.  Here is the recipe:
Marinated Tenderloin

Ingredients:

1  Cup Parsley Twigs, Chopped
2  White Onions, Chopped
4  Cloves   Garlic, Minced
4  Bay Leaves
2 Tsp.Black Pepper
3 Tbsp. Lea and Perrins
3 Tbsp.Soy Sauce
4 Cups Red Wine
1 Cup Olive Oil
2 Beef Tenderloins, 5-6 Lbs. Each

Directions:
1.   In a small bowl, combine all ingredients except meat.
2.   Pour marinade over beef in a plastic bag.   
3.   Marinate in refrigerator for 4 hours, turning bag occasionally
4.   Remove meat. Dry. Fold thin end of fillet under and tie. Discard Marinade
5.   Place meat on a greased grill over medium high heat.  Add wood chunks to one side.
6.   Cook, turning every 5 minutes for even browning.  You can place the meat over the chunks for a short time.
7.   Remove when meat thermometer reads 135˚ for rare (about 45-50 minutes)
8.   Allow tenderloins to rest 10 minutes and slice.

I also baste the meat with a mixture of beef extract, butter,  Lea & Perrins, and lemon juice.

Enjoy!