Cold smoked and freezing?

Started by adeplonty, December 05, 2011, 05:16:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

adeplonty

Is there anything wrong with brining, cold smoking and freezing either pork chops or chicken breasts to cook later? I have never brined anything and put it in the freezer without fully cooking it first and am not sure if it will change anything.

Thanks,
Al

SiFumar

I've only done pork chops.  Just cold smoke, wrapped and froze.  Didn't brine.  But can't say if that is a problem.  I'm always more cautious with chicken.  So have not attempted that as a cold smoke.  I'm sure the more experienced will chime in.

viper125

Well the brine and cure if there is any should stop after freezing. My only concern would be the length of time unfrozen. Also if it was all ready froze and thawed I wouldn't. I don't refreeze unless cooked. If it was fresh and not out long it would probably be ok. But thats me.

Quote from: adeplonty on December 05, 2011, 05:16:38 PM
Is there anything wrong with brining, cold smoking and freezing either pork chops or chicken breasts to cook later? I have never brined anything and put it in the freezer without fully cooking it first and am not sure if it will change anything.

Thanks,
Al
A few pics from smokes....
http://photobucket.com/smokinpics
Inside setup.

adeplonty

I was going to use fresh meat and the temp around here this time of year is in the 30's so I would think it would be safe. I was thinking of smoking them for 2 hours.

Al

KyNola

Early this year I cold smoked some thick cut pork chops.  Took them straight out of the frig and into the smoker.  3 hours laters took them out and they were still quite cold to the touch..  Individually vac sealed and into the freezer..  Let them hang out in the freezer for a month.  The smoke flavor intensifies.  They were way good.

No problem.