New Problem

Started by Bassman, May 18, 2004, 04:08:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bassman

I was smoke'n 2 wild turkey breasts when after 3hrs I noticed the temp in the smoker started to drop. I went out to look at it and noticed the power light (bottom left on cabnet) was off. However the power light on the smoke generator was on and working. While checking all connections and the fuse, I jiggled the plug in the back of the smoker and the light came back on, for about 10 minutes. repeated the jiggle process but it didn't work. I then unplugged the the main power cord, plugged it back in and the power light on the cabnet came back on. for about 15 minutes. It seems the smoker keeps shutting itself off. Anybody ever hear of this? I think it's time to call Bradley.

<i><font color="blue"><b>Jack</i></font id="blue"></b>
Jack

BrentK

Bassman,

Have you tried plugging the cabinet directly into the 110V outlet instead of the back of the smoke generator.  That would eliminate one component from this problem.  Next carefully inspect the plug in at the back of the cabinet and smoke generator for any signs of electrical arching.  This would show up as a light brown film on the plugs all the way to melted plastic.  Also check the heat fixture inside the cabinet for a secure fit.  Any loose connections with any of these componets would create havoc with the temperature sensor switch.  I would also run a continuity check on your electrical cord while bending it back a forth to see if you may have a broken wire within the cord that is making intermitent contact.  

Hope these ideas help.

Bassman

New discovery,
The power indicator on the cabinet as well as the heat bulb go on and off intermittenly without even touching it. But the smoke generator works fine. I'll be calling Bradley today.

Edit: Brent, I took your advice and plugged the cabinet straight into an outlet and it still shut off. I called Bradley and they are sending me a new slider switch. They said moisture probably got to the circuit board under the face plate. Not sure how that could happen, I never had any kind of moisture or juices running out of it when in use and I keep it in a shed.Hopefully I'll be up and runing shortly. I have lots of pork in mind for Memorial Day.
Jack

Chez Bubba

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Bassman</i>
<br />I have lots of pork in mind for Memorial Day.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
So do we!!![:p][:D][8D]

FWIW, I agree with Bradley's assessment of the problem & their solution. I have experienced temperature fluctuations during smoking but have attributed it to wind/sun/electrical drain on the circut etc. The power lights have always remained lit though.

Kirk

http://www.chezbubba.com
Ya think next time I check into a hotel & they ask "Smoking or Non?" they would mind?
http://www.brianswish.com
Ya think if next time I check into a hotel & they ask "Smoking or Non", they would mind?

Fuzzybear

No smoking for me this weekend or next[:(]....will be leaving for Washington to view the construction process thus far with my contractor.......[:D]

"A mans got to know his limitations"
Glendora, CA - USA!

Chez Bubba

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Fuzzybear</i>
<br />No smoking for me this weekend or next[:(]....will be leaving for Washington to view the construction process thus far with my contractor.......[:D]

"A mans got to know his limitations"
Glendora, CA - USA!
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">Aw, come on Fuzz, take it with & fire it up for the crew. After samplin', they'll probably do an extra deck or replace the laminate counters with Corian for free![:D]

Ya think next time I check into a hotel & they ask "Smoking or Non?" they would mind?
Ya think if next time I check into a hotel & they ask "Smoking or Non", they would mind?

Bassman

Now thats service!!![:)]

I called Bradley on Tuesday and got my part on Thursday.[:X] Took 10 minutes to install and I am up and running[:D][:D][:D]

Got 2 huge porterhouse steaks I'm going to cold smoke before grill'n (not sure how else to do them, any suggestions)?.
Then for the holiday it will be Pork! Ribs and Butts for pulled pork[:p][:p]

edit:I was so excited about my smoker being fixed I forgot to post what I learned. When I took out the old power switch it had brown goop on the circuit board. Somehow moisture did get in there. The only thing I can think of is water got in there when I cleaned the door seal, even though I was careful. From now on to prevent that, when I do a cleaning I will first take the vent off the top (which needs cleaning anyway)and flip the cabinet upside down totally protecting the switch. I just finished doing this and it worked well with no hassles.[:)]

Jack

Chez Bubba

Jack,

I would suggest that the "brown goop" was fat & not water. Unless your smoker was horrendously dirty & you cleaned it using gallons of water, I don't think it was the cleaning process that introduced the gunk, but the cooking process. Water doesn't turn to brown goop, fat does.

I would think the real culprit might be:

A) The top rack bacon drip trick was overdone.
B) Too much food loaded in so that it touched the sides.
C) Too long a cook & not emptying & refilling the water bowl.
D) Placing the <b>v-shaped tray</b> as an <b>a-shaped tray</b>. (I know that sounds kind of basic, but trust me, it's been done.)

Glad Bradley got you up & running again, just trying to prevent another down-time.[:)]

Kirk

Bassman

actually Kirk your right
There was one time I had a long cook and forgot to change the water. the bowl was bone dry.I will have to be more careful. Thanks[:)]

Jack