Finally doing my salmon

Started by northof60girl, December 05, 2011, 09:05:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

northof60girl

Hello fellow smokers!
I have finally cut up my salmon and got it soaking in Kummok's brine in a cooler with ice, outside in about 34 degree's as the cooler will not fit in my fridge and I have about 6 salmon in there.  My question is this....it say's to brine fro 24 hours but can I leave it in there longer or is it better to let it dry longer.  The reason I ask is I have an assignment due for school tomorrow night and too much to do before Friday night so need to buy myself a few days.  I can put in racks in the fridge for a few days if that is better than leaving in the brine. 
As usual everyone....thanks for the assistance. 
Pictures will be forthcoming when complete.... Laurie ;D

Keymaster

I would take it out of the brine after 12 hours. It may get overly salty if you leave it in the brine longer. friday is a long ways away but it should make it on racks in the refer until then. I would try and smoke it sooner. I'm no expert so I would see what others have to say  :)

tsquared

Definately follow keymasters advice and take it out of the brine after 12 hours. You would be better off to put the salmon on the racks and in your cooler until you are ready to dry them. They will be fine but if you leave them in the brine they will be way salty! And I thought my life was too busy to start a brining/smoking cycle--look at you with a toddler AND school assignments. Good for you.
T2

northof60girl

T2....no kids here lol....a grandson that comes over regularly but my kids are grown..thank goodness! Well I took it out after work which is the earliest I could get at it and it's resting in the fridge....pictures attached....thanks for the info from you and KeyMaster  ;D

Thawing in the fridge

In the famous Kummok brine

In the fridge waiting to glaze up double stacked

hal4uk

Girl, I dunno nuthin' bout smokin' fish, but that's a nice CLEAN lookin' fridge.
Very tidy.  Gold star for you!

No Swine Left Behind KCBS BBQ Team
Peoria Custom Cookers "Meat Monster"
Lang Clone - 'Blue October'
Original Bradley Smoker
MAK 1 Star General
Traeger Lil' Tex
Backwoods Chubby

Quarlow

Lookin good Laurie. Good luck on your fish and your assignment.
I like to walk threw life on the path of least resistance. But sometimes the path needs a good kick in the ass.

OBS
BBQ
One Big Easy, plus one in a box.

northof60girl

haha Hal...it's clean because there was nothing much in there before the fish went in.  I only had to arrange a few things.  I've been a bit lazy lately and haven't been cooking much (except baking cookies and smoking salmon soon!). 
@ Colin...thanks.  I am pretty much following everything in the recipe although I did have to let it brine a few more hours because I was working but hope to have it in the smoker on Friday night and of course pictures to follow.

OU812

Lookin gooood allready,,,,,,,cant wait to see the money shot.  ;D

Quarlow

Quote from: northof60girl on December 07, 2011, 08:48:29 AM
haha Hal...it's clean because there was nothing much in there before the fish went in.  I only had to arrange a few things.  I've been a bit lazy lately and haven't been cooking much (except baking cookies and smoking salmon soon!). 
@ Colin...thanks.  I am pretty much following everything in the recipe although I did have to let it brine a few more hours because I was working but hope to have it in the smoker on Friday night and of course pictures to follow.
Laurie if you are at all concerned about the saltyness, you can cut a little piece off and just fry it till done and then taste it. If it is salty you can soak it in fresh water to flush some salt out......well know that I think about it this might take away from the flavour. Might need some good opinions from the forum for this. What say you friends of the forum. LOL They do this for CBB and Hams so that is what made me think of it. I have eaten lots of salty smoked salmon, my dad never measured and sometimes it was more than obvious. We just had to drink more beer with it. LOL.
I like to walk threw life on the path of least resistance. But sometimes the path needs a good kick in the ass.

OBS
BBQ

northof60girl

Thanks Colin...it has been in the fridge for the last few days as it was not really drying out.  It has that tacky feel but it's still kind of soft.  It has to go in the smoker tonight so we will find out by tomorrow since I am doing some tonight and some tomorrow morning.  I can't imagine I could screw it too bad but again, your right....drink more with it  ;)
I have a function I have to go to tomorrow and am going to make some smoked salmon cream cheese spread to bring so keep your fingers crossed!

devo

Good luck on the smoked fish, I,m sure it will come out great. Never had a bad batch yet following Kummoks recipe. Just don,t rush it and it will be fine.

weedenb

Good job on the salmon!

I'm getting ready to do the same.

lumpy

When I do my salmon, I always brine for at least 24 hours. have been doing it this way for years now.

Lump

Quarlow

Oh man. Take some of the salmon and chop it real fine and mix it in the cream cheese, it will be awesome. Try do mix it up as early as possible, cause it gets better with time. Good luck and enjoy.

OBS
BBQ

La Quinta

The salmon looks great!

But dang...I gotta agree with Hal on the fridge!!!