First try at stuffing sausage w/ pics!

Started by KyNola, December 06, 2011, 11:27:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

KyNola

After much ranting, wailing and gnashing of teeth I finally got the courage up to stuff sausages today.  The mix is a smoked sausage mix from Oak Grove Smokehouse in Prairieville LA.  These guys have been around for a while!  I used 32mm smoked collagen casings.  Was pretty happy with the first attempt.  Only had one bonafide casing blowout.  Did have the string used to tie the ends together to slip off twice under the pressure of the meat.  I can live with that for the first attempt.  Jan was a HUGE help on this.  In my book, sausage stuffing is a two person job when you have zero experience at it.  They are drying in the frig and will smoke tomorrow.

Pics are below.  I would welcome any suggetions or criticism from what you see in the pics.

A huge thanks to NePaS, Tenpoint5 and STC for their advice.

Sailor

Looks like you did a fine job!  It is too late to tell you .....DON'T start making sausage.  Once you start you can't stop.  I agree that the first time is a 2 person job but once you get the hang of it you can do it all by your lonesome and crank the sausage out pretty fast.  Kinda like milkin a cow.  Once you get the hang of it you can one hand feed the casings and crank with the other hand. 

Fantastic job!

Enough ain't enough and too much is just about right.

NePaSmoKer

Them look very good.

Like Jim said run away. But i think your stuck in sausagville now and you cant go back  :o

I can hear Sonny now laughing.

KyNola

A quick question.  I am beginning to suspect that I may not have time to smoke these tomorrow due to a scheduled gig I was not aware of when I started today.  Will it hurt anything if these stay in the frig tomorrow and smoke on Thursday?

pikeman_95

Those look great KN You are on the way. You should have never started.

I can hear Sonny now laughing.
[/quote]

Speaking of Sonny has anyone seen him for a while??

pensrock

You can wait a day or two to smoke em. I have actually stuffed one weekend and did not get to smoke till the next weekend, no problems.  :)

KyNola

Sailor

You will be OK!  Only thing with collegen casings is that the casing my get a bit loose.  I know when I put snack stix in the fridge overnight uncovered they lose moisture and the casings are lose after the smoke.  Might want to cover them to keep some moisture in them.

Enough ain't enough and too much is just about right.

SiFumar

You really did good!  Waiting on $$$ shot!

OU812

Niiiiiiice.

Wish I could have been there to see this.  ;D

It gets faster and easier with time.  ;)

I would cover them sausages so the fridge dont suck out any moisture wile there waitin for the big day.

ghost9mm

Well done my friend, ya did good, will be watchin for the finished money shot...
Digital Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
The Big Easy with Srg grill
MAK 2 Star General
Char Broil gas grill

SnellySmokesEm

Looks good to me, I am sure its going to be awesome with all the experts helping your out.  Cant wait to see the finished pics.
Is it bad if my wife refers to the smoker as "The Mistress"?
MasterBuilt Electric Smokehouse
Charbroil Red 4 Burner With Auto Clean
Big Easy Smoker Roaster Grill
BBQ Evangelist

Keymaster

Looks good Kynola, I think you'll want to let them get to room temp or close before smoking as usual with most things we smoke. Looks like you got your knots good and tight ;) Can't wait to see some of that on a cracker with cheese ;D

smokeNcanuck

Looks like it was you 100th time, not your first!
Great work, will be looking forward to the finish pics.
Either Way....I'm Smoke'N It

hal4uk

Quote from: pikeman_95 on December 06, 2011, 01:15:24 PM
Speaking of Sonny has anyone seen him for a while??
He's alive  :o
Got a text today...  Came home kinda sick from deer camp.  Probably needs to recharge his CR TANK.   ;)

-----------
Dang, Larry!!! you really are RETIRED!!!!
Looks awesome to my (NOT RICK) eyes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
No Swine Left Behind KCBS BBQ Team
Peoria Custom Cookers "Meat Monster"
Lang Clone - 'Blue October'
Original Bradley Smoker
MAK 1 Star General
Traeger Lil' Tex
Backwoods Chubby