First try at stuffing sausage w/ pics!

Started by KyNola, December 06, 2011, 11:27:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SouthernSmoked

Quote from: pikeman_95 on December 06, 2011, 01:15:24 PM

Speaking of Sonny has anyone seen him for a while??

I talked to Sonny today....he has been at deer camp, again!

Larry, sausage looks great. You and Jan did a great job!

I would try to smoke them within 24-48 hours after stuffing.

Question....what piece of equipment did you use to stuff them?
SouthernSmoked
WeQ4u - BBQ Team

KCBS CBJ
(2) - Stainless Steel 4 Rack's with Dual probe PID
1- Digital, 6 Rack
1-PBS
(2) Bradley Cold Smoke Attachment
(2) Backwoods Smokers
(1) Chicken Little

NePaSmoKer

Larry & Jan

Ya did good. There is a secret yet but i wont say it here  ;D

Muuaaahaahaa

KyNola

Quote from: SouthernSmoked on December 06, 2011, 07:59:25 PM
Quote from: pikeman_95 on December 06, 2011, 01:15:24 PM
I would try to smoke them within 24-48 hours after stuffing.
Question....what piece of equipment did you use to stuff them?
Thanks Mark.  Equipment?  They make equipment to stuff those casings?  Wow, that would have made it a lot easier. Jan and I stuffed those by hand. ;D Actually we used a LEM 5 lb stuffer.

Thanks for everyone's advice.  The sausages have been covered with plastic wrap.  The very first link we stuffed is a little limp as I was concerned about over stuffing.  Once I figured out that the casing was a little stronger than I anticipated I realized we could stuff them tighter.  The rest are nice and tight.

Again, thanks everyone for your advice and encouragement.  I appreciate it.

hal4uk

Quote from: KyNola on December 06, 2011, 08:16:23 PM
Once I figured out that the casing was a little stronger than I anticipated I realized we could stuff them tighter.
Yeah, sometimes that last 6 inches...

WHOOPS.
Wrong forum.
My bad.
No Swine Left Behind KCBS BBQ Team
Peoria Custom Cookers "Meat Monster"
Lang Clone - 'Blue October'
Original Bradley Smoker
MAK 1 Star General
Traeger Lil' Tex
Backwoods Chubby

KyNola

Quote from: NePaSmoKer on December 06, 2011, 08:15:27 PM
Larry & Jan
Ya did good. There is a secret yet but i wont say it here  ;D
Muuaaahaahaa
PM it to me then.  I need all the help I can get such as.....when I bring them out of the smoker do I go into an ice bath to cool them down and then hang them to air dry?  Help a Brother out here NePaS. :)

Hal, I knew I could depend on you to pick up on that. ;)

viper125

Those look great. But it is addictive. Some say easier to stuff when just done I do it both ways and see no difference at all. i do like to let meat sit in fridge one - 2 days before smoking to let spices mingle. A week won't hurt either just keep them in fridge.
A few pics from smokes....
http://photobucket.com/smokinpics
Inside setup.

Sam3

KyNola

They go in the smoker tomorrow.  Hickory smoke will be calling them.  After doing a bit of measuring I just learned a lesson.  A 16 inch sausage is a bit long for the BDS. :o  Will be removing the drip tray in the BDS so that some of them will hang OK.

(Note to self: 12 inch sausages fit much better if hanging in the BDS :P).

KyNola

Today is the day!  Went in the smoker about 30 minutes ago to dry for an hour and then will pour the hickory to them.  First problem of the day is the links are long.  Had to improvise a little but think it will be fine.

Oh yeah, it's also 32 degrees outside.  Fortunately there is very little wind so we are all good.  So far so good but it's early yet.  Plenty of time for me to screw this up! ;D

squirtthecat

There's gonna be snow falling on the smoker tonight!

KyNola

Damn this is unnerving.  I have no idea what I am doing but I'm sure it can't be right.

Keymaster

Quote from: KyNola on December 08, 2011, 10:20:24 AM
Damn this is unnerving.  I have no idea what I am doing but I'm sure it can't be right.
its only been 4 hours, id say you got about 4 to go ^-^

Sent from my VM670 using Tapatalk

Sailor

You will be just fine.  Them sausages are going to have a stall which is normal.  Going to take at least 6 hrs and may take up to 12 hrs to finish in the smoker.  Just make sure the cabinet temp don't get over 175. 

Enough ain't enough and too much is just about right.

KyNola

Thanks guys but this was an epic failure.  A huge huge epic failure.  The "sausages" are now sleeping with the rest of the garbage in the garbage can.

STC can post the PM I sent to him about what I think happened.  Frankly, I don't feel like it and yes I am STILL pissed!!! >:(

Sailor

Gulp!  Well for what it is worth.....I have chunked plenty of failures in the trash.  Don't let it keep you down.  I am sure that we can help you figure out what went wrong if we knew what happened.

Enough ain't enough and too much is just about right.