Newbie question regarding 'over curing' if that's even possible?

Started by SwedishMike, November 16, 2011, 03:15:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

aerostef

Hi Mike,
I'm an expat as well (france) living in oxfordshire too. Where about are you?

My first bacon is curing in the fridge, I'm planning on smoking it this saturday. I am using a cure from weschenfelder.co.uk (supracure).

I brew my own beer too!
Www.garden-oven.co.uk

SwedishMike

That's looking really good! Mine's in the fridge now too. Some pictures here: http://www.freestylecookery.com/2011/11/making-bacon-part-i.html

I'm living on Cholsey but work in Abingdon. Whereabouts are you based?

// Mike

aerostef

I brew my own beer too!
Www.garden-oven.co.uk

SwedishMike

SwedishMike

The pork belly have now been in the fridge for 8 days and I have religiously turned it every day. It is starting to firm up in some spots, but are still soft to the touch on at least 80 - 85 per cent of the surface area.

I've been using the normal fridge in our kitchen so I'm not sure if I got it cold enough? Would that slow down the process?

How long should I give it before it starts getting dangerous to cook and eat?

Cheers, Mike

Habanero Smoker

I lost track of this thread. Did you use the supracure as directed by the manufacturer. Supracure is very similar to what is sold in the States by the name of Morton's Tender Quick; which is used at a rate of 1 tablespoon per pound.

If used at the correct rate, sometimes meat just doesn't firm up like you would expect. I recall reading in the U.K. your hogs have much more fat. If your cure was good, and you applied the proper amount your bacon should be ready. If you still want to leave it in the cure, I personally would not go more then two more days.

If it is not fully cured it will still be safe to eat, but you need to treat it as uncured belly. If not fully cured, you may see a band of grey or lighter color in the center of the meat. After removing the bacon from the cure, I would slice a piece off the end, pan fry and test for saltiness. If too salty soak it in cold water. I also let the meat rest 12 - 24 hours after removing it from the cure.

When curing you should try to keep the temperature as close to 40°F as possible. I keep my refrigerator at 38°F. The warmer it is the faster it will cure, the colder it is the slower it will cure. That is just the nature of chemical reactions.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

SwedishMike

Many thanks for your reply.

I used the cure from here: http://www.susanminor.org/forums/showthread.php?542-Maple-Cured-Bacon

I feel a bit unsure about how well this one went, I might go for a second go and treat this as a learning experience worst case scenario.   :(

Habanero Smoker

My mistake, it was aerostef that used the supracure.

It may be fully cured, the firmness test is a general rule of thumb. I have had several pieces of meat that did not firm up as expected but still were fully cured.

If you followed that recipe, there is very little chance of failure.

I
         don't
                   inhale.

aerostef

Sorry if I hijacked this thread Mike!

FYI: The supracure worked well for me. After smoking on Friday I let the meat dry naturally and it firms up everyday.

I will have to rinse the meat for longer next time, the salt level is on the high side. Still, I won't go back to shoip bought bacon, ever!  ;D
I brew my own beer too!
Www.garden-oven.co.uk

SwedishMike

Habenero Smoker: Thanks for your reply and no worries at all. I'll give it a go now, feel a bit more confident. Will let you know how it turns out.

Aerostef: No problems at all, these threads are open. ;) How long are you planning on letting it firm up before slicing it all up? Or are you going to keep it as one big 'unit' and slice as you go?

Habanero Smoker

Once you get your first batch completed, you will see how easy it is.

Aerostef;

I wouldn't call that hijacking a thread. I look at it as me making an error in reference. The salt level is high in supracure for the amount you have to use. My calculation is that it is around 98.8% salt, while Morton TQ is about 70% salt.

I
         don't
                   inhale.

aerostef

Mike: It has been drying since saturday and getting nicer by the day. The belly bacon I am used to from the part of France I come from is very dry. It is mainly used for lardons (bacon bits).
I'll take a picture tonight.

Habanero: I went the lazy way and bought the already prepared supracure... But I will definitely use less or rinse it more next time. Despite the high saltiness, I am very happy with the results...
I brew my own beer too!
Www.garden-oven.co.uk

aerostef

I brew my own beer too!
Www.garden-oven.co.uk