Maverick ET 732

Started by bille, December 07, 2011, 04:34:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

viper125

Me too! Saves a lot of trips,tells me meat temps with out opening. Also I set me temp 10 degrees higher then cooking temp and set the alarm.  Should warn you in case of fire.
A few pics from smokes....
http://photobucket.com/smokinpics
Inside setup.

Consooger

absolutely LOVE my Maverick, a bit on the pricey side but the best one I have seen available and is pretty much spot on!
"Telling you to invest in smoking your own jerky because buying it so much was getting way too expensive was the worst thing I could have ever done to us, now look at the monster I have created!" :-)
               -My Wife

viper125

I was a little dissapointed to say the least when I wrote to them. I informed them of us fixing these probes and the numbers of them going bad also suggested a little dap of sealer would take care of complaints and failing probes. I was concerned a great product would lose their customer standing. They wrote back informing me that their probes crimp and plastic insert was all that was needed and that their probe approval rate  was 99.9 %. So they see no need for improving it. Well I did write back and said it was probably because every one was buying their probes some place else. Just sorry they didn't see a reason for concern as I see it on every site I frequent and in large numbers. So my approval rate just dropped. And if you use protect your self with RTV high temp silicon.I went through 4 probes in the Bradley in less the 90 days.
Inside setup.

mikecorn.1

Quote from: viper125 on March 09, 2012, 08:53:31 AM
I was a little dissapointed to say the least when I wrote to them. I informed them of us fixing these probes and the numbers of them going bad also suggested a little dap of sealer would take care of complaints and failing probes. I was concerned a great product would lose their customer standing. They wrote back informing me that their probes crimp and plastic insert was all that was needed and that their probe approval rate  was 99.9 %. So they see no need for improving it. Well I did write back and said it was probably because every one was buying their probes some place else. Just sorry they didn't see a reason for concern as I see it on every site I frequent and in large numbers. So my approval rate just dropped. And if you use protect your self with RTV high temp silicon.I went through 4 probes in the Bradley in less the 90 days.
I called earlier acting like I was callling about a problem with mine. My buddy's 732 will loose sync at around 3 or 4 feet. No Joking.  The lady told me that even though is under warranty, I would have to pay to ship it back and then they would test it, and send me back the good unit out of the two along with a new one of the deffective one.
Going to call about the probes next. Im off today so I have nothing better to do.  ;D ;D
Mike

TedEbear

I just sent Maverick Industries the following email. Perhaps if enough of us mention it to them they might realize that it is not just a few isolated cases.

Hi.  Have an ET-732 that I use in my electric smoker.  I love the extended range and everything else about it except for a problem with moisture getting in the probes.  I am on several BBQ forums and the problem seems to be widespread with this unit.

I am very careful about not letting water get on the probes or wire and when I clean them I wipe them off with a damp cloth but not at the opening.  The problem with mine is moisture in the smoker cabinet works its way between the wire and the metal probe where they are crimped together.  Mine start showing temp readings that were WAY off.

To correct the problem I put the probes in my household oven at 350*F for several hours.  That got rid of the moisture and they began working normally again.  I then sealed the crimp joint with some food safe high temp RTV. (Permatex red).  This has prevented the moisture problem from coming back so far.

You might consider sealing your probes a bit better on a product upgrade.  Other than probes going bad way too soon most people seem to think highly of the ET-732.  Thanks.

Jeff
St. Louis, MO

Consooger

WHat kind of sealant is everyone using. I went to the local  Lowe's and they didn't have anything that would withstand above 300 degrees.
"Telling you to invest in smoking your own jerky because buying it so much was getting way too expensive was the worst thing I could have ever done to us, now look at the monster I have created!" :-)
               -My Wife

TedEbear

Quote from: Consooger on March 09, 2012, 11:34:21 PM
WHat kind of sealant is everyone using. I went to the local  Lowe's and they didn't have anything that would withstand above 300 degrees.

I ordered some Permatex RTV high temp red off Amazon.  According to the manufacturer it is food safe.  Free 2-day shipping with Amazon Prime and no sales tax.

Habanero Smoker

If you have an auto parts store check there first. I found it at Auto Zone.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

mikecorn.1

I found it at walmart and paid $4.45 total.
The auto store parts where I'm at had it starting at $6.99 b4 tax. :o

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mike

muebe

I used silicone heat shrink tubing on my probes that seals water tight and is safe to 260F. Seems to work well and have not had a problem with moisture since....
Natural Gas 4 burner stainless RED with auto-clean
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)

Habanero Smoker

Quote from: mikecorn.1 on March 10, 2012, 05:44:07 AM
I found it at walmart and paid $4.45 total.
The auto store parts where I'm at had it starting at $6.99 b4 tax. :o

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Before Auto Zone I check three Wal-Marts, two Lowes and one Home Depot. So it cost me $6.99 + tax, not including the gas and time I spent looking for it at other places.  :) (Though those trips were not solely for looking of that one item.)

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

viper125

Well any one live close is welcome to use mine. lOL I got it at Wally world. 4 something.
Inside setup.

TedEbear

Quote from: TedEbear on March 09, 2012, 09:58:50 AM
I just sent Maverick Industries the following email. Perhaps if enough of us mention it to them they might realize that it is not just a few isolated cases.

Here's an email reply I received from Maverick today:

Hi Jeff,

Thanks for your suggestions. I will pass it along to our operations manager.

Thank you
Nijmeh

Maverick Industries, Inc.
94 Mayfield Ave
Edison, NJ 08837
Phone: 1-800-526-0954 ext. 211
Fax: 732-417-9673

Consooger

Quote from: TedEbear on March 14, 2012, 06:52:56 PM
Quote from: TedEbear on March 09, 2012, 09:58:50 AM

Here's an email reply I received from Maverick today:

Hi Jeff,

Thanks for your suggestions. I will pass it along to our operations manager.

Thank you
Nijmeh

Maverick Industries, Inc.
94 Mayfield Ave
Edison, NJ 08837
Phone: 1-800-526-0954 ext. 211
Fax: 732-417-9673

hopefully it doesn't get passed along to the "trashcan manager"
               -My Wife

viper125

Here is the one I originally received hope you do better

Paul,

Thanks for sharing your Permatex RTV silicon high temp gasket solution with us. 99.99% of the time the crimp is a suitable seal and will not allow moisture inside the probe tube even with the environment inside a smoker .

Darren

On 2/29/2012 10:46 AM, Maverick wrote:
Hi Paul,

Thanks for the info. I will forward your suggestions to our operations manager for consideration.

Thanks again,
Nijmeh

-------- Original Message -------- Subject:  732
Date:  Wed, 22 Feb 2012 15:27:20 -0500
To:  <[email protected]>

I sent you a letter yesterday about my probes going bad 3 times in a few
months. I am on a smoking site for Bradley smoking and after a lot of talk
we find we are all having problems. We have come up with the conclusion that
it is the humidity in the smokers that are shorting out your wires as they
are not sealed against water. We have found that a simple fix by a few
members has fixed this problem so far as much as a year. It just takes a
small amount of Permatex RTV silicon high temp gasket maker to do it. Just