New to Bacon

Started by marauder11, December 07, 2011, 07:58:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

marauder11

O jumping over from the Sausage world . I want to know if the amount of cure i need is the same a in sausage making. I have the insta cure #1 from the sausage maker. Is 1 teaspoon of cure good for 5 pound in making bacon as well. In the last catalogue the sausage maker sent out they say for 10 pound you need four teaspoons in there making bacon article. Any helps great thanks.

M

Habanero Smoker

I've been using the Basic Cure mix for so long that I get confuse. I thought it was the same for both sausage and whole meat. But for whole muscle meat according to reliable sources you need 4 times as much Cure #1, but according to Ruhlman's recipes; twice as much will give you the needed protection. So the recipe in Sausage Maker is correct.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Habanero Smoker

OK. I've been doing some calculations. The maximum amount of Cure #1 that can be use on whole muscle is used at a rate of 4 times the amount you will add to sausage. That will bring your nitrite level up to 625 ppm (parts per million); the maximum amount allowed by the FDA/USDA.

Using 4 teaspoons of Cure #1 keeps you way within safe limits of 312.5 ppm. The recommended lowest level of nitrites and still provide protection is 120 ppm. Using 1/4 teaspoon per pound; or 1 teaspoon per 5 pounds, will give you 156.25 ppm; well within safe limits.

Like I said, I come to get use to  using the Basic Cure. By my calculations that contains a little over 1/4 teaspoon of Cure #1 per tablespoon of cure mix. One tablespoon of the Basic Cure mix weighs .60 ounces. The Basic Cure mix, by weight is about 10% Cure #1, so that gives you around .06 ounces per or 1/4 teaspoon per tablespoon; (By weight, Cure #1 is about .05 ounce per 1/4 teaspoon).

So I'm getting good results and flavor using the lesser amount of Cure #1, and I'm going to stay with the lower amounts of nitrites.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)