My latest batch of rainbow trout - with pictures!

Started by WideGlideMike00, December 08, 2011, 04:24:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WideGlideMike00

I know how you all like pictures... well here's my pictorial on my latest batch of smoked trout.  This is an annual houseboat trip that I do every year, fishing for trout on Lake Shasta, CA. We mainly troll, but sometimes fly fish in coves and once in a great while, toss a few worms out. But by far the most productive for us is trolling. Anywhere from 5' to 75' feet deep. I guess this is not really a how-to on smoking trout, but more to pictures ;-)

To tell the truth, I broke a lot of my smoking rules. I didn't measure ingredients for the brine, I didn't really time the soak time. But apx. 12 hours – variable of course due to fish size,  cut size, filets or chunks and then the overall salinity of the brine.  Then more rule breaking. I loaded up pucks without counting, started with a cold smoke (smoker element heat only) then after several hours, turned on the main heating element. Again, no keeping time just looking. What my Grandpa calls "TLAR" method. (That looks about right)
End result? Awesome! I brought the whole batch as appetizers to my family Thanksgiving get-together. Nothing left but skin and bone. 

Luckily I have much more in the freezer for Christmas!

Here are the pics! Although I did not include the 'action shot' of the smoker door open with smoke billowing out... I was busy. Sleeping. 8)

And if it works, at the end of the pictures, I've attempted to embed a youtube video of us reelin' one in! Yeehaw!

Youtube: (I guess you can't embed videos to play here? Well, at the least the link to the video works)

http://youtu.be/9QpgctL_-SE

SamuelG

That looks great! I'm sure it hit the "mark"

SamuelG

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
SamuelG

squirtthecat

ghost9mm

Now them is some good lookin trout, I may have to start fly fishin again...
Digital Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
The Big Easy with Srg grill
MAK 2 Star General
Char Broil gas grill

Keymaster

Very nice post and awesome catch!!! Very nice job on the smoke. Thanks for sharin :)