Seasoning Question

Started by willis5, January 05, 2006, 03:07:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

willis5

Alright.

First of all, hello to the board.

I just bought my first BS. The bisquets are on the way.

When they come, I plan to season to spec. I was reading the directions and it says to clean the smoker after each use. I understand cleaning the racks, pans, ash, particles, etc. but a thourough cleaning will take away season... should I just lightly wipe the inside of the cabinet, or do I clean it all of the way and season before each use? that sounds absurd.

What is your extent of cleaning?

thanks in advance,
Willis

whitetailfan

Correct, that is absurd.  Everyone fully cleans the V-tray and bowl each use.  I seldom bother washing the bottom drip tray, just wipe it once in a while esp if you did a greasy butt or something that splashed grease around.  Leave the inside of the cabinet alone as much as possible.  Quick wipe here and there is all.  I use a wire brush to knock off flaking smoke "flavour" off the walls and doors, but just the stuff that's pealing as it can wind up on your food[xx(]

I wire brush the smoke generator a few times and year, and blow it out with compressed air as the pucks flake and the sawdust builds up.

I asked this question as a newbie and the response was quite strong - do not clean out the tower as described in the manual.  I listened and have not had any trouble in nearly 2 years of smoking now.

Important almost forgot - wipe down your door seal as often as you can remember.  The smoke builds up a film, stronger sometimes it seems, than "super glue".  Just a damp papertowel makes a world of difference in how your door operates, and I use a soapy J-cloth once in a while just for good measure.

Good luck and welcome

Edited for spelling only

<font color="green">whitetailfan</font id="green">
"Nice Rack"
Lethbridge, AB
Vegetarian is an ancient aboriginal word meaning "lousy hunter"
We have enough youth...how about a fountain of smart?
Living a healthy lifestyle is simply choosing to die at the slowest possible rate.

IKnowWood

WTF

What is a J-cloth?

The Medina's in Maryland's Eastern Shore
IKnowWood
Coming to you from the DelMarVa (US East Coast that is)

Look up Our Time Tested And Proven recipes

willis5

Great tips.

I have two small sika deer hams that I will smoke as soon as I get the hang of it.

I am going to test with a few small deer roasts to start and slowly work my way up.

I have smoked on charcoal before and had great results.

whitetailfan

J-cloth is your everyday run of the mill dishwashing cloth.  It's not like a face cloth, or one of those "doily" type dish rags.  I have known no other dishwashing cloth, Mom used em, Grandma, and now the wife.  DISPOSABLE is the key as well.  Cheap, come in a multi-pack and when your done with them on a smoker clean, into the trash they go.  I did a search cause maybe they are not everywhere in North America and since there is an English/French option, they're probably from up here.  Here's the site: J-Cloth have a peek.  Actually after looking some more, the company's H.O. is in Toronto.

<font color="green">whitetailfan</font id="green">
"Nice Rack"
Lethbridge, AB
Vegetarian is an ancient aboriginal word meaning "lousy hunter"
We have enough youth...how about a fountain of smart?
Living a healthy lifestyle is simply choosing to die at the slowest possible rate.

IKnowWood

WTF - Never heard of it before.  For that cleaning over hear, I use a regular Shop-Towel that I get in a 100 sheet roll.  Some similar characteristics to the J-Towel as it appears.  But I would not wash my dishes with the shop-towels.

Willis.  Where you gettin gthose Sika-Dear.  Only Sika I heard of are from Assateaque Island National Park in Va.

The Medina's in Maryland's Eastern Shore
IKnowWood

willis5

I hunt on my property in Dorchester County on the eastern shore. It is near Blackwater Wildlife Refuge... Cambridge area. You are correct, though. there is a healthy population on Assateaqe.
-Willis

IKnowWood

OK, that makes sense.  I am up near Centreville in Queen Anne's and we are surounded by Deer. There are much mroe behind my house this season.  I buck passed by a couple weeks ago and attacked a tree (quess he itched) and recently a Doe was in my neighbors yard munching on the grass.  I walked out and it did not leave right away. Wagged its tail for me as it pranced into the small trees and grass behind our yard.  Deer and Geese, just to many these years.
IKnowWood

willis5

Ha! My parents live off of 213 near Centreville. Small world.

Queen Anne Co. does have an abundance of whitetails. For all of you who hunt, there are rattlesnakes and lots of rabid grizzly bears in the area, too.

My property in Dorchester is strictly deer hunting as it is completly marsh.

The eastern shore of MD fills my freezer... all the more reason to use this smoker.
-Willis

Toffeeman

Should Bradley's amend their instructions as I asked a similar question on another section of this forum. Instructions seem to contradict themselves in relation to cleaning. Excellent Forum.

JJC

that's a good thought, Toffeeman.  Olds has a terrific "FAQ" board that is stickied at the top of each Forum that would be the perfect place for  a short primer on how much (or not) to clean.  Bsolomon has a couple of excellent pieces on seasoning and using the BS for the first time, but I don't think there's anything on cleaning the unit.

John
Newton MA
John
Newton MA

JJC

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by willis5</i>
<br />
First of all, hello to the board.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
Welcom to the Forum, Willis--don't be a stranger!

John
Newton MA
John
Newton MA

willis5

I won't.

I just started it up for the first time 3 minutes ago.[;)]
-Willis