PID Dual Probe Question

Started by Max, December 09, 2011, 07:27:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Max

Im thinking about getting a PID. I'm thinking the extra $50 for the dual probe version might be worth it even if I dont use the IT probe often. I also have a dual probe wireless Maverick that id use anyway for remote monitoring. Can I run the PID dual probe without the second probe plugged in?

And in general, is the dual probe worth it?
(sorry i know there is another thread on this right now but it sort of diverted into a DIY discussion.)

mikecorn.1

I believe that you have to have both probes connected to the unit itself or it will hive you and error code and will beep non-stop. Even if you are only going to actually use one if them.
Is it worth it?  Depends on who you ask.  I use it alot. Others willne by with more info and probably correct me on my info :).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mike

devo

Knowing that the smoker will shut off when the desired IT is reached makes it worth it for me.

viper125

I use the dual PID and the 732. I always use all the probes but don't think you have to. I put the food probes close to each other so both read about the same. When im in garage I watch the PID and inside I watch the 732. To control smoker you only need one. Unless you set the PID to shut off at a certain temp. I usually set this 1 or2 above what I want. In case something is going on and get run out real quick. I also use all the alarms on 732. Watch meat, oven temp, low alarm in case element or other problems stops heat and high alarm in case of a fire. Really a great setup.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk
A few pics from smokes....
http://photobucket.com/smokinpics
Inside setup.

kickedback

Dual probe is worth it. I agree with these guys and run my setup like Viper. You don't have to have the food temp probe hooked up as long as any of the 6 stages on the PID aren't set for IT. If any of those stages are set for IT and not time and you don't have the food probe hooked up, you will get an error message and the PID won't do anything. I found this out over Thanksgiving when I preset the PID the night before. I didn't have food probe in and went out to preheat the OBS for the turkey and got the error message. After a little heart failure, and calming down, I figured it out and plugged in the food probe.

ghost9mm

Yes Max...you will not be sorry for getting the dual probes...really like mine...
Digital Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
The Big Easy with Srg grill
MAK 2 Star General
Char Broil gas grill

viper125

Also I had a probe go out when I needed it to control temps. So I unplugged the food probe plugged it into the smoker probes spot and still used it to control. Couldn't do that with a single.
A few pics from smokes....
http://photobucket.com/smokinpics
Inside setup.