smoked ribeye

Started by gillgetter, December 10, 2011, 01:01:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gillgetter

I'm thinking of taking a 5lb chunk of ribeye and putting a rub on it and smoking till @160 IT then shaving it to make philly beef sandwiches. anyone done this? any tips/suggestions. I plan on running smoke about 2 hours then just heat the rest of the time. Thought of possibly inserting cloves of garlic and maybe rosemary in it????

Ka Honu

I'm thinking 160 is a bit high for a ribeye - I'd go somewhere well below 150 depending on your preferences.

watchdog56

I have done both boneless ribeye and a small prime rib with bones ( which is the same as a ribeye roast). I usually put a rub on it and into smoker for 2 hours of smoke. Usually use hickory. This goes kind of fast as it usually take only about 3 hours to get it medium or 125 degrees. Then I take it out and warp it in foil between 30 minutes to 1 hour. Then put it in oven with the broiler on just to crisp up the outside. Usually take 10 - 15 minutes. then pull out and tent with foil for about 15 minutes to rest. Just remember when meat is in smoker you might want to add bacon strips on top to help with some moisture as usually the roast is to lean. I put bacon all across top and then take off when I put it in the oven. If you want it medium well I would take IT to 130 because it will cook a little by itself in the foil. Comes out great.

gillgetter

Thanks for the tips. I was considering covering w/bacon and will do it. I like the broiler idea too. I'm off to go do it now.
Thanks again

cgaengineer

135-140 IT is what I would suggest...any more than that and its ruined in my opinion
Weber Genesis (Black) Vertical Gas Smoker (Wanna upgrade to a Bradley), Anvil SLR7012 meat slicer, KitchenAid Meat grinder and sausage stuffer.

TedEbear

Quote from: gillgetter on December 10, 2011, 01:01:20 PM
I'm thinking of taking a 5lb chunk of ribeye and putting a rub on it and smoking till @160 IT

I like to cook mine to a minimum of 160*F, preferably 165*.  "If it's still red it ain't dead."

SiFumar

If you're just making it for sandwiches...I would cook to the lower IT(150) and wrap in foil for and hour or so, refrigerate and slice/shave when cold.....reheat in a little broth to desired color.

cgaengineer

Quote from: TedEbear on December 14, 2011, 12:52:33 PM
Quote from: gillgetter on December 10, 2011, 01:01:20 PM
I'm thinking of taking a 5lb chunk of ribeye and putting a rub on it and smoking till @160 IT

I like to cook mine to a minimum of 160*F, preferably 165*.  "If it's still red it ain't dead."

160 is WAY overdone! Hell, you may as well cut up an old boot and put it between two pieces of bread!!  :)
Weber Genesis (Black) Vertical Gas Smoker (Wanna upgrade to a Bradley), Anvil SLR7012 meat slicer, KitchenAid Meat grinder and sausage stuffer.

viper125

Rib eye? 135-140!  I did cook one ribeye to 160-165 one time. Best damn patch I ever had in a boot! Wore longer then the leather!
A few pics from smokes....
http://photobucket.com/smokinpics
Inside setup.

cgaengineer

Quote from: viper125 on December 14, 2011, 04:26:16 PM
Rib eye? 135-140!  I did cook one ribeye to 160-165 one time. Best damn patch I ever had in a boot! Wore longer then the leather!

When you ruin it at 160 send it to me and I'll retread the old BFG AT's on my truck! :)

ACW3

If you're going to spend the money for a nice ribeye roast, please don't ruin it by overcooking it!  If you simply must have some beef to that level of doneness, buy a nice eye round and cook it low and slow.  I just bought an Angus eye round at Sam's that I cooked/smoked on my MAK at 180 until it was about 120 IT.  I sliced it deli-thin with my slicer.  Nice and tender.  I will be taking the remaining sliced eye round and making some Italian beef for sandwiches soon.  This will take it up in the 160 IT range by the time I am done.  You could always take an eye round to your desired 160 IT.  This way it would be really tender.

Just my thoughts on the matter.

Art
MAK 2 Star (# 171)
Weber Kettle (old school charcoal)
KCBS CBJ
NCBS

hal4uk

120? - 125? then let rest at least 15 minutes.
No Swine Left Behind KCBS BBQ Team
Peoria Custom Cookers "Meat Monster"
Lang Clone - 'Blue October'
Original Bradley Smoker
MAK 1 Star General
Traeger Lil' Tex
Backwoods Chubby

TedEbear

You guys who are undercooking your steaks might save some on the electric bill and just plop it on the counter for a few minutes, let it get to room temp and then put it on the plate and eat it.  Nothing worse than cutting into a nice steak and seeing red juices running out.   :'(

160+ degrees or nothing.   ;)

cgaengineer

Quote from: TedEbear on December 15, 2011, 05:12:18 AM
You guys who are undercooking your steaks might save some on the electric bill and just plop it on the counter for a few minutes, let it get to room temp and then put it on the plate and eat it.  Nothing BETTER than cutting into a nice steak and seeing red juices running out.   :')

130+ degrees or nothing.   ;)

I corrected your post...

Lol, I guess it's all a preference but to me, if you want to cook until its tough, buy a less quality cut.

viper125

Quote from: TedEbear on December 15, 2011, 05:12:18 AM
You guys who are undercooking your steaks might save some on the electric bill and just plop it on the counter for a few minutes, let it get to room temp and then put it on the plate and eat it.  Nothing worse than cutting into a nice steak and seeing red juices running out.   :'(

160+ degrees or nothing.   ;)

Guess it's in the eye of the beholder. But I have been in many fine eating places that warns right on the menu! Well done at your own risk! Never seen such on a rare steak. Honestly I know of no cut of meat that benefits from cooking all the juice and flavor from it. When grilling steaks I will cook al they want. But when they say well done I hand them the flipper. I don't know how to ruin a piece of meat on purpose and don't want to learn. Juicy and succulent all the way! And I don't ruin a good knife edge on it. LOL
A few pics from smokes....
http://photobucket.com/smokinpics
Inside setup.