smoked ribeye

Started by gillgetter, December 10, 2011, 01:01:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cgaengineer

I'd like to add that eating rare is safe and that if you can get over the look of it you won't eat another steak well done. Ultimately the way to get the most flavor would be to eat raw, but as we know the surface should be disinfected on a hot grill.
Weber Genesis (Black) Vertical Gas Smoker (Wanna upgrade to a Bradley), Anvil SLR7012 meat slicer, KitchenAid Meat grinder and sausage stuffer.

Caneyscud

I'm almost with you there cgaengineer.  I've eaten and enjoyed my share of raw hamburger, tartare, and carpaccio, and probably some I can't pronounce - but I think I do prefer a nice rare steak - just past the mooing stage.  I think that little bit of heat you blast it with - gets the juices and fats flowing, and the browning (maillaird reaction) and makes for a nicer flavor and succulence.  But that is only an opinion and take that opinion and 50 cents and you can buy yourself a half cup of coffee!
"A man that won't sleep with his meat don't care about his barbecue" Caneyscud

"If we're not supposed to eat animals, how come they're made out of meat?"

TedEbear

Quote from: viper125 on December 15, 2011, 06:35:59 AMHonestly I know of no cut of meat that benefits from cooking all the juice and flavor from it.

There's a difference between cooking it until it is well done and cooking it until it is burnt.  I cook mine just where there's no pink left.  Plenty of flavor and tenderness left.  I just don't see anything appetizing about eating something that has red blood running out of it.

I used to go to a popular steak restaurant when I went to Detroit on company business.  They had something like 7 levels of doneness on the menu.  There was one past well done called "hockey puck".  On the other extreme end of the scale they had one above rare called "blue".  I asked the waiter how it was prepared.  He said they remove it from the cooler, plop it on the grill and flip it over to get grill marks on both sides and them put it on the plate.  Yukorama.

I remember one experience in particular with ordering a well done steak at a restaurant several years back.  I don't know if they mixed up my order with someone else's but mine arrived more medium rare than anything.  I didn't want to send it back because I've seen some of these hidden camera TV shows where the cook was seen spitting (or worse) into some food a patron sent back.  I drowned the thing in A1 sauce and managed to eat it.  The sauce hid the redness but not the cold center of the meat. 

I hope you guys don't cook your hamburgers the same way.   :o

cgaengineer

Quote from: TedEbear on December 16, 2011, 03:05:14 PM
Quote from: viper125 on December 15, 2011, 06:35:59 AMHonestly I know of no cut of meat that benefits from cooking all the juice and flavor from it.

There's a difference between cooking it until it is well done and cooking it until it is burnt.  I cook mine just where there's no pink left.  Plenty of flavor and tenderness left.  I just don't see anything appetizing about eating something that has red blood running out of it.

I used to go to a popular steak restaurant when I went to Detroit on company business.  They had something like 7 levels of doneness on the menu.  There was one past well done called "hockey puck".  On the other extreme end of the scale they had one above rare called "blue".  I asked the waiter how it was prepared.  He said they remove it from the cooler, plop it on the grill and flip it over to get grill marks on both sides and them put it on the plate.  Yukorama.

I remember one experience in particular with ordering a well done steak at a restaurant several years back.  I don't know if they mixed up my order with someone else's but mine arrived more medium rare than anything.  I didn't want to send it back because I've seen some of these hidden camera TV shows where the cook was seen spitting (or worse) into some food a patron sent back.  I drowned the thing in A1 sauce and managed to eat it.  The sauce hid the redness but not the cold center of the meat. 

I hope you guys don't cook your hamburgers the same way.   :o

Burgers...pink! If I have control of the grind I'm all about a juicy rare burger.
Weber Genesis (Black) Vertical Gas Smoker (Wanna upgrade to a Bradley), Anvil SLR7012 meat slicer, KitchenAid Meat grinder and sausage stuffer.

hal4uk

My electric bill has decreased dramatically since I stopped under-cooking steaks with my waffle iron.
Before that, even my Stir-Crazy was spinning the electric meter out of control.
Awrighten.
No Swine Left Behind KCBS BBQ Team
Peoria Custom Cookers "Meat Monster"
Lang Clone - 'Blue October'
Original Bradley Smoker
MAK 1 Star General
Traeger Lil' Tex
Backwoods Chubby

TedEbear

Quote from: cgaengineer on December 16, 2011, 04:17:47 PMBurgers...pink! If I have control of the grind I'm all about a juicy rare burger.

Please tell me you were joking. Undercooking a steak is one thing.  Undercooking ground beef can be deadly.

cgaengineer

Quote from: TedEbear on December 17, 2011, 03:11:28 AM
Quote from: cgaengineer on December 16, 2011, 04:17:47 PMBurgers...pink! If I have control of the grind I'm all about a juicy rare burger.

Please tell me you were joking. Undercooking a steak is one thing.  Undercooking ground beef can be deadly.

No I'm not kidding, I like some pink in my burgers...not bloody (I guess rare was the wrong word for a burger).

ankorklankor

Quote from: ACW3 on December 14, 2011, 05:23:30 PM
If you're going to spend the money for a nice ribeye roast, please don't ruin it by overcooking it!  If you simply must have some beef to that level of doneness, buy a nice eye round and cook it low and slow.  I just bought an Angus eye round at Sam's that I cooked/smoked on my MAK at 180 until it was about 120 IT.  I sliced it deli-thin with my slicer.  Nice and tender.  I will be taking the remaining sliced eye round and making some Italian beef for sandwiches soon.  This will take it up in the 160 IT range by the time I am done.  You could always take an eye round to your desired 160 IT.  This way it would be really tender.

Just my thoughts on the matter.

Art

ACW do you have a recipe for your Italian beef you would like to share?  When I was stationed at NWS Earl in Colts Neck, NJ we had a sandwich shop near by that made the best Italian steak subs.  I have never been able to duplicate them.  They would throw the shaved beef on the grill, spoon on a batch of marina sauce and at the end throw in a handful of shredded mozzarella cheese, then in a hot oven to toast the roll a little.  I have never been able to duplicate the marina sauce so am always on the lookout for new recipes.

Thanks,

David.
Relax don't worry, have a home brew.

TedEbear

Quote from: cgaengineer on December 17, 2011, 05:56:20 AMNo I'm not kidding, I like some pink in my burgers...not bloody (I guess rare was the wrong word for a burger).

There are so many articles about the dangers of food poisoning from eating undercooked ground beef I don't know where to begin.  I'll just list a link to one reliable source from the USDA. 

Color of Cooked Ground Beef as It Relates to Doneness

"Pathogens (including Salmonella and Escherichia coli O157:H7) die when exposed to heat for a specific amount of time. Cook all raw ground beef to an internal temperature of 160 ?F as measured with a food thermometer."

"E. coli O157:H7 has caused numerous sporadic cases as well as outbreaks of foodborne disease resulting in illnesses and deaths. A number of E. coli O157:H7 outbreaks recorded since 1982 have been linked to undercooked ground beef as the primary source of infection."

"Consumers should not eat ground beef patties that are pink or red in the middle unless a food thermometer is used to verify the temperature."

viper125

Well I have ate raw burger, pick beef and ham all my life. I like it when the red juiciness are still flowing. Dad says he can hear them mo! I ate my pork medium rare all the time too. Before they lowered cooking IT. I've ate sushi also. I'm 58 years old now. I never had a problem and with today's health regulations and conditions meat is 100 times cleaner then in those days. So I seriously have my doubts it's as dangerous as every one makes it.
I grew up in a world of no seat belts and no helmets or knee pads. We didn't have the precautions most people today grew up with. I attribute a lot of it to plain fear. One person does something or gets sick, now everyone thinks it will happen all the time. True some of these things today are a lot safer or better. But I think it's way out of hand these days. Use to be laws affected you if you did some thing to hurt some one else. To day they want to pass laws saying there to protect me which to me ain't right. But our generation relyed on common sense which today isn't something that is popular. LOL And I am not saying this about any one on here. Just this old world in general. LOL
A few pics from smokes....
http://photobucket.com/smokinpics
Inside setup.

SiFumar

Quote from: viper125 on December 18, 2011, 09:22:48 AM
Well I have ate raw burger, pick beef and ham all my life. I like it when the red juiciness are still flowing. Dad says he can hear them mo! I ate my pork medium rare all the time too. Before they lowered cooking IT. I've ate sushi also. I'm 58 years old now. I never had a problem and with today's health regulations and conditions meat is 100 times cleaner then in those days. So I seriously have my doubts it's as dangerous as every one makes it.
I grew up in a world of no seat belts and no helmets or knee pads. We didn't have the precautions most people today grew up with. I attribute a lot of it to plain fear. One person does something or gets sick, now everyone thinks it will happen all the time. True some of these things today are a lot safer or better. But I think it's way out of hand these days. Use to be laws affected you if you did some thing to hurt some one else. To day they want to pass laws saying there to protect me which to me ain't right. But our generation relyed on common sense which today isn't something that is popular. LOL And I am not saying this about any one on here. Just this old world in general. LOL

X1  tho I'd not eat it pink or red at a place I didn't trust(ie: fast food joints)

hal4uk

Quote from: viper125 on December 18, 2011, 09:22:48 AM
Chances are, you won't get sick, but if any pathogens are on the outer surface of anything ground, it's now all through it.  Even then, with today's SOPs, GMPs, HACCP plans, etc, it's unlikely to be enough to make a healthy person sick.

That said...  I eat steaks rare, burgers medium-well, and I drive on the right side of the road.   ;D
No Swine Left Behind KCBS BBQ Team
Peoria Custom Cookers "Meat Monster"
Lang Clone - 'Blue October'
Original Bradley Smoker
MAK 1 Star General
Traeger Lil' Tex
Backwoods Chubby

TedEbear

As I was assembling my The Big Easy that Santa brought me earlier today I ran across something in the cooking guide that refers to some new guidelines for cooking various foods until they are safe to eat.  The posted temps are the minimum safe internal temps, as recommended by the USDA.

Ground meats: 160*F
Whole cuts of meat: 140*F
Poultry: 165*F

Source: USDA  Is It Done Yet

KyNola

USDA......well, if a politically ripe US Government agency says so it must be true as we all know the US Government has the best interests of it's citizens foremost in their mind. ;D ;D ;D  Let's confer with the FDA too! ;D

Sorry Ted, just kidding with ya.