regular cheeese/ snack sticks or summer sausage

Started by nasels, December 12, 2011, 10:24:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nasels

I ran across one post where it stated regular cheese could be used in snack sticks etc just as well as high temp cheese. Actually I believe it was in summer sausage. I would like to do some jalapeno cheese snack sticks in the oven. I don't have a smoker yet.
Any thoughts on regular cheese use or any other cooking hints using an oven as the cooking source.

Piker

Hi-temp cheese is hard to get in Canada  so I use a lot of cheddar and pepper-jack in my s.s. and in the oven but i keep the temp below 170f. On my stove if I hold the bake button for 30 secs. I can adjust the oven temp to as much as 30f below what it says on the dial but be sure to use a thermometer and probe. Thks Piker

viper125

I don't have trouble as long as temps are not allowed to get to hot. Also if your doing sausage your better to go slow and low. I start around 120 and step up 10 degrees every hour till I get smoker temps to 170.
A few pics from smokes....
http://photobucket.com/smokinpics
Inside setup.

NePaSmoKer

I have done regular cheese with sticks and SS with great results. One thing to remember you will need to cube the cheese in 1/4" or smaller cubes.