Newbie Question

Started by Jholliday, December 15, 2011, 07:19:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jholliday

Ok I have my new 4 rack digital all set to make a few pork butts and I am trying to figure out how do I catch some of the dripping from them?? is it ok to put a pan on the lowest rack for this as I like to add some of the naturaljuices to my pulled pork after it's pulled??

beefmann

welcome to the forum.

after the smoking process you can put a tray on the bottom rack leaving  2 inches around the  tray for the heat to rise.... The best way is again  wait till the smoking  process has completed , pull out the water bowl under the v tray and place your  tray / pan under the center drip hole and catch it that way.

The smoking process will add a heavy smoke taste to the drippings and in my  opinion adds a sour  taste to the drippings.

Jholliday

Any suggestions for how long I should put the smoke to it. I know that some people smoke longer just curious what the recommended smoking time is.

mikecorn.1

Quote from: Jholliday on December 15, 2011, 09:08:24 AM
Any suggestions for how long I should put the smoke to it. I know that some people smoke longer just curious what the recommended smoking time is.
Most folks don't do any more than 4 hours in the Bradley. It's a matter of preference. You can go with that first and next time do more time and see the difference.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mike

beefmann

it depends on how much smoke flavor you  like, 3 to 4 hours is good,  mesquite and hickory have strong smoke flavors  would require less to smoke  with, i would go with 3 hour mixture of mesquite  and hickory

Habanero Smoker

Good advice above, but I would be concerned about removing the drip bowl, and placing a dry pan in its place to catch grease and drippings. To me that would be like running the smoker with a dry drip bowl. There is a possibility of a fire.

Placing the pan on a rack would be alright, since it is further from the heating element.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

viper125

Only time I remove water dish is for drying,like jerky. Other wise I empty the dirty water and add more. Any grease that gets in pan is also easier to clean.
A few pics from smokes....
http://photobucket.com/smokinpics
Inside setup.