900W or dual heating element?

Started by rscearcy, December 13, 2011, 02:20:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

viper125

Guess a Simple Man for a simple question!
A few pics from smokes....
http://photobucket.com/smokinpics
Inside setup.

beefmann

Quote from: WideGlideMike00 on December 14, 2011, 01:03:57 PM
Just thinking out loud here. The main reason I even look at posts pertaining to heating element mods is because of heating element failures.
So what I am wondering is if any of the people that have done the dual element set up had their original heating element fail while it was running alongside the finned element?

Regardless of that, why not just eliminate the original bradley element all together and use just the finned 900W heating element alone? (It would save the frustration of having to keep changing the bradley element every 3rd smoke.)
I realize the idea of faster pre-heat, faster cooking times and faster recovery. But the whole idea of a smoker is low and s-l-o-w... right?
(And if you didn't open the door so much, no need to worry about recovery)  8)

i have been running the 900 watt mod foe many years now with no problems, as for cooking times it is  based on temperature over the wattage of the  elements, if you  cook at 225 and  am doing 20 lbs of pork it  will  still be a  low,  slow process,, I  still continue to  have 20 lbs of  pork take 14 to 18 hours to do,, yes it  is a bit  quicker, that  is only to having  better temps in the box

rscearcy

Thanks to everyone who responded.  I think I'm going to go the dual 500W route, with an on/off switch on the back of the case.  I do love the low and slow smoking the BDS provides and I'd like to go back to the original heating capacity once my temp has recovered from loading and rotating.  I don't open the door much to spritz or poke or look.  But in cooler weather, I sometimes get a little concerned when the temp takes a long time to get into the upper temps (190 - 225).  After all, I don't want to be declared a public health hazard when my guests start showing up with food poisoning.  My Auber works really well to keep my temps stable, so I think the dual 500W answer will work for me.  Actually, we're getting into the time of the year when I can start doing some cold smoking in the middle of the afternoon instead of 3:00 am.  But, the dual element will let me keep on doing brisket and ribs all winter long. 

Habs, thanks for the instructions.  I figure if I use your recipes, I should also follow your instructions for the dual 500W element.   Thanks to all for the help.

Dick Scearcy
Porterville, CA
If you are able to keep your head when all around you are losing theirs...maybe they know something you don't.

Habanero Smoker

Dick;

There is no reason to shut off the second element once the cabinet has recovered to your set temperature. Whether you have one or two elements on, the PID will maintain the cabinet at the set temperature. Also you will find that with the second element, maintaining the set temperature seems to be easier for the temperature control device that you are using.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

WideGlideMike00

Quote from: viper125 on December 15, 2011, 06:40:13 AM
Guess a Simple Man for a simple question!

Uhhh, was that designed to insult my intelligence?

viper125

Ha Ha  no! more mine. Hab said I answered your simple question. I just remarked it took a simple man to answer a simple question. LOL
I wouldn't make a remark about some one else's  intelligence. When some times I have doubts about mine. Keep asking questions we all enjoy answering them and helping when we can. I just happened to be first that time.
Inside setup.

WideGlideMike00

Quote from: viper125 on December 15, 2011, 03:57:17 PM
Ha Ha  no! more mine. Hab said I answered your simple question. I just remarked it took a simple man to answer a simple question. LOL
I wouldn't make a remark about some one else's  intelligence. When some times I have doubts about mine. Keep asking questions we all enjoy answering them and helping when we can. I just happened to be first that time.

OK, no sweat - just making sure   8)

viper125

Well it's my Kentucky blood. I say what I think and can't seem to sugar coat it. I hardly ever criticize or belittle any one. But when I do they will recognize it. LOL I wouldn't dare condemn any ones intelligence. I'm to the point where I doubt even what I know some times. And I know I'm not stupid.

So write it off to being a old hillbilly. And get old has nothing to do with Golden! LOL
Inside setup.