Cold Smoke Ham and Two Day Vac Seal

Started by Scotty Dog, December 13, 2011, 10:53:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Scotty Dog

I have to say I was surprised at the great success I had with a cheep ham I purchased and smoked this weekend.  This was a Safeway precooked  and water added ham that I purchased for $1.29 / lb.  I cut a slice and fried it up for a taste test.  It was a little salty so I chose to not add any rub or seasoning and just see how bad could it turn out.  I cut the ham in two sections leaving the bone in one section and a nice chunk of boneless in the other.  I then cold smoked it for 4 hours with Apple and the temp did not rise above 45 in the Bradley.  The temp outside was 35.  I pulled it from the smoker and Vac Sealed them and into the fridge.  Two days later I pulled the boneless section out of the Vac Seal bag and wrapped it several times in heavy foil and sealed all edges the best I could.  I placed it in the oven at 250 for about 4 hours.  When I pulled it from the foil it was very juicy and tender.  The smoke flavor was not heavy and the salt taste was gone.  My wife was very pleased and she was getting tired of all my smoking activity.  I think I will go get another and do the same for lunch meat and add an extra hour or two of smoke.  Any input from the more experienced is always welcome.

SiFumar

jiggerjams

"My wife was very pleased and she was getting tired of all my smoking activity.  I think I will go get another and do the same for lunch meat and add an extra hour or two of smoke."

I would be good with that........not sure if the wife will be or not. :o