Indian candy

Started by cnelles, January 07, 2006, 05:14:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cnelles

Got my new smoker yesterday and sent the recall back. Smkoed sum au -sum indian candy / Brown sugar, salt and  salmon . Also bought some flank steak and made jerky . The jerky turned out but I did not get a lot of it. I think I paid $ 21.00 for flank steak and think I have about 1/2 lb of jerky. Mabe someone knowes another type of meat I can use  to make jerky Thanks Chris

Chris Nelles

MWS

I mostly use an outside round roast. They are relatively inexpensive and make great beef jerky. I am currently making some elk jerky. First time with elk, it looks like a good roast for jerky. We'll see....

<i><font color="green"><b>Mike </i></font id="green"></b>

<i><font color="black">"Men like to barbecue, men will cook if danger is involved".</i></font id="black">
 -John Wayne

Mike 

"Men like to barbecue, men will cook if danger is involved"

cnelles

Thanks M<font color="orange"></font id="orange">ike . I have lots of moose I will try it

Chris Nelles

liquid25

Alot of people use top round. This is what I prefer. My butcher sells me deneutered round - top round with absolutely no fat on it. I think if you google "jerky meat" you will find that most people use top round. You might also find that alot of recipes call for london broil - what they realy mean is top round - london broil is way of preparing top round roast.

I've used eye of round and I don't mind the bit of fat, but I don't care for the taste or texture. I'll use it in a bind.

I've used bottom round when in a bind also. I'd use this over eye of round. Bottom round is also cheaper than top round.

Good luck!

iceman

L25 is right about the top round when you can get a lean one. I just did a batch this week and it's not bad.[^] The price is right compared to other cuts. Flank got expensive as soon as it gained popularity just like chicken wings, livers, ribs, etc.[V]

Big or small you can smoke'm all!!!

Muskwa

The moose should make for some excellent jerky. I've had good success slicing up the lean roasts from both moose and deer. Good luck!

Muskwa

jaeger

cnelles,
Another great item for jerky is turkey tenderloins. Just slice them about 1/2 inch thick lengthwise and season/cure just like you would for beef jerky. You may want to let it cure or marinade for an extra day or half day.
Also, ground jerky is awesome. I picked up a jerky gun or jerky shooter to apply the meat to the racks. You can add extra garlic, black pepper, red pepper or crushed red pepper etc.....I always add mustard seed to my groud jerky.
I usually add a little fatty beef or pork to wild game so it doesn't taste to dry. This is just another couple ideas for you!!!

<font size="4"><b>Doug</b></font id="size4">