Newbie Cant Find Morton Tender Quick

Started by dublinohiosmoker, January 08, 2006, 06:28:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dublinohiosmoker

Hello all...I am a newbie (just got my BS on Wednesday), got the smoker seasoned and am looking at recepies to figure out what my first adventure is and am most call for Morton's Tender Quick...so I ran to the local grocery store, and the next, and the next...you get the picture...and cannot find it anywhere!  Any Central Ohio members have any luck finding it locally?  So my next step was to search the net...and I found it, but shipping was twice as much as the product...so I ask all of you seasoned vets, where do you get your Morton's Tender Quick online (or what store locally) without paying an arm and a leg?

Thanks

liquid25

This may not be much help, but you did look by the salt, right? Every grocery store in my town carries it and it's always next to the big things of salt.

You could also try a butcher.

Habanero Smoker

Walmart usually carries it. Look for it in the section that have the canning supplies.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

winemakers

You may live in one of the better locations across this board.  Per another posting by 'olds'

http://www.spicebarn.com/

is one of the better spice houses around and they list a Powell OH address.

Good luck from a Mentor, OH resident

mld

JJC

Welcome, Brian!  Just a wild guess, but are you from Dublin, Ohio? [:D][;)]

The previous replies have pointed you in the right direction for Tender Quik, but I'm more curious about your statement that most first adventures seem to call for it . . . most of us recommend smoked chicken or boston butt as a first try, and neither of them require TQ.  What do you have in mind?

John
Newton MA
John
Newton MA

dublinohiosmoker

Thanks for all the responses...I did try the spice aisle, but did not think of going to the canning aisle...that will be my next stop along with Walmart!  
I will also have to try the Spice Barn...Powell is REALLY close to me, so hopefully that will be the winning answer!

As for my first venture into smoking, was going to try either Chicken Breasts, Pork Chops or Pork Tenderloin...but unfortunately all the recipes I have found call for soaking it in a mixute which includes Tender Quick....I am open to other recipes though.  Just prefer white meat as opposed to the whole chicken.

Brian

boxertrio

--"Fight back! Whenever you are offered violence, fight back! The aggressor does not fear the law, so he must be taught to fear you. Whatever the risk, and at whatever the cost, fight back!" -- Lt. Colonel Jeff Cooper; USMC

JJC

. . . what Glenn says . . . [:)]

John
Newton MA
John
Newton MA

MrJim

Morton has an online store at: http://www.c-els.com/sfCatalog.asp?sn=E032120020070034

Jim

" We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office."

MrJim

Morton has an online store at: http://www.c-els.com/sfCatalog.asp?sn=E032120020070034

Jim

" We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office."

dublinohiosmoker

So atlast I found it at Meijer which is kinda like a Super Walmart kinda place...odd thing is that this was the 3rd location that I tried and was finally successful!  For what it is worth, tried the Spice Barn recommended and they do not carry it and struck out at Wamlart too :-(.

Anyway, thanks again for all your assistance and I am now free to smoke away this weekend!

JJC

Glad your quest is over!  Just keep in mind that many, many great smoker recipes don't require TenderQuik!

John
Newton MA
John
Newton MA