Smoking a 22# Ham and 24# Ham this Weekend!

Started by Arrow'em and Smoke'em, December 14, 2011, 04:12:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Arrow'em and Smoke'em

I did a little stabbing around with my digital thermometer and found there is a cool spot 2/3's the way up from the
bottom of the ham right in the middle. That spot is 148-degrees so I think I will leave the ham in there while at
church and hope it doesn't get overdone on the bottom......lower temps are around 155-156. Any thoughts???

love the smoke

Ya that should be fine, with the temp setting at 170 it shouldn't cook the ^%$# out of the already done, it will more "soak" the heat into the big hunk-o-meat

LTS
LTS

Arrow'em and Smoke'em

Money Shot Below. Very tender and falls apart. Amazing flavor!!!

SiFumar

KyNola

I am not being critical at all so please don't take it as such.  Why is the ham falling apart like pulled pork?  I would think at an IT of 152 or thereabouts it would slice rather than "pull".

Just wondering as I want to do a fresh ham at some point.

Arrow'em and Smoke'em

No idea. My first ham. The center was 152-degrees but the outer edges were 156-degrees. Moist and tender. I though it would slice too. Maybe if I would have waited to cut into it until it cooled overnight in the fridge it would have sliced up nicer. I still have 2/3 of it cooling in the fridge but that is going to get reheated and ate for Christmas dinner.

KyNola

Pulled or sliced I'll bet it is delicious.  Really nice job!

Habanero Smoker

The end you sliced seems to be the end that was closest to the element. Was the outer temperature of the ham in that area no higher than 156?F. I'm sure as you get father back it will slice perfectly.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

micman

Wow I don't even know what to say....My mouth is watering, like really bad. I am gonna have to try a ham that is for sure, but your delta thingy... ya way cool 8), but to be honest I just figured out how to put pictures on here again... did it once before and then couldn't remember (squirrel) ::)

Again WOW

Mick

Arrow'em and Smoke'em

After eating a portion of the ham fresh off the smoker for Sunday dinner, I put the remainder of the ham in the fridge overnight. I took it out the next day and it sliced up beautifully. The only part that was loose meat was the area of the ham that was right above the heating element, probable a bit overdone there. I cut the rest into ham steaks which I will vacuum seal today and reheat for Christmas dinner. I think it tastes better on day two and three!

Sliced Ham steaks :)

SouthernSmoked

SouthernSmoked
WeQ4u - BBQ Team

KCBS CBJ
(2) - Stainless Steel 4 Rack's with Dual probe PID
1- Digital, 6 Rack
1-PBS
(2) Bradley Cold Smoke Attachment
(2) Backwoods Smokers
(1) Chicken Little

Tenpoint5

Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!