Pacific Spoted Prawns

Started by RossP, December 14, 2011, 11:50:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RossP

The wife wants smoked prawns for dinner this weekend, should I just peel and smoke or should I season with something? They have a natural sweetness to them so I am torn on what to do.

Ross

Original Bradley Smoker
Cold Smoker Attachment
Teal Termapen

La Quinta

Ross...I would go with salt and pepper...such a beautiful product....let it speak for itself...

Just my HO...

Wildcat

Quote from: La Quinta on December 15, 2011, 12:50:42 AM
Ross...I would go with salt and pepper...such a beautiful product....let it speak for itself...

Just my HO...

And perhaps a little butter.
Life is short. Smile while you still have teeth.

CLICK HERE for Recipe Site:  http://www.susanminor.org/

TestRocket

Salt, pepper and a little butter sounds just right to me!  ;D

tsquared

I'm too lazy to even peel them, Ross. We put our traps out in April for a few weeks and get what we need for the year. I love 'em but one of my least favourite actvities is peeling prawns for other people. I smoke 'em for about an hour, starting out cold and cranking the heat to 200 for the last 30 minutes. I usually just use garlic and evoo. The other method I use is to cold smoke them for an hour and then throw them in the skillet with garlic/evoo or fresh ginger and peanut oil or black bean sauce with peppers or...... you get the idea--it's hard to go wrong with spot prawns.
Here are a couple of pics from April. You can see that on one tray I did peel the prawns and left  the other tray unpeeled. For my taste, there was enough smoke flavour on the unpeeled to leave the peeling to my guests---I didn't hear any complaints! ;)

Here is a money shot of an April island meal--prawns and a dungeness from our traps and asparagus from our garden along with a Fat Tug IPA (made here in Victoria--2011 Canadian beer of the year)

T2

KyNola

When I smoke shrimp, I peel them, let them air dry and then brush with melted butter.  Then I sprinkle them with just a bit of Cajun seasoning and hot smoke them at 200 degrees.  Another way I have done them is to peel them, put some crab boil in some ice water and drop the peeled shrimp in there for only about 15 minutes.  Take them out, let them air dry to form a nice pellicle and then hot smoke as above.

Shrimp take smoke very well.

MWS

QuoteHere is a money shot of an April island meal--prawns and a dungeness from our traps and asparagus from our garden along with a Fat Tug IPA (made here in Victoria--2011 Canadian beer of the year)
T2

Geez T2, That meal looks fantastic. I'll have to hunt for that 'Fat Tug IPA' at the LDB store.  I am partial to Dungeness crab and a good IPA!!!
Mike 

"Men like to barbecue, men will cook if danger is involved"

Wildcat

I have yet to smoke any. I normally grill them with butter, salt, pepper, garlic, lemon juice. Sometimes I add soy sauce. One day I plan to cold smoke then grill like normal.
Life is short. Smile while you still have teeth.

CLICK HERE for Recipe Site:  http://www.susanminor.org/

tsquared

MWS--you won't be disappointed wth Fat Tug. I know the family that are part owners of the brewery--great people and a great beer--and with a fresh Dungie--heaven!
T2

RossP

Always loking for a good beer, love micro breweries, I will check for Fat Tug over on this side of the pond.

Ross
Original Bradley Smoker
Cold Smoker Attachment
Teal Termapen

RossP

Just my HO...

Might have to bring some down in March, just for you Tracy....
You might have to fight Giz for them though.

Ross
Original Bradley Smoker
Cold Smoker Attachment
Teal Termapen

La Quinta

It's a date Ross...I can handle Gizzie!!! I have a secret weapon...Virgina will distract him!!! We girls stick together!!! ;D  ;D

weedenb

Just my HO...

If your spots are the same as ours I agree totally!! They are so good all by themselves I usually just give them a very quick boiling water bath and peel and eat myself. A little bit of melted butter if you want to get fancy but not really necessary. I would wash them down with an AK Amber of course  :)

RossP

Yup same ones weedenb, butsince we do not have AK Amber in our liquor store in town here, a beer I drank a lot of when we were in Anchorage last time, I did happen to find a few bottles of Fat Tug IPA to try with the Prawns tomorrow.

Ross
Original Bradley Smoker
Cold Smoker Attachment
Teal Termapen

jiggerjams

Envious here. I wish I had access to catch my own seafood.