Ash smell

Started by chopperloui, December 15, 2011, 05:42:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

chopperloui

Am I doing something wrong. Everything I smoke has an ash smell to it, not a smoke smell. what could I be doing wrong.  :-\

DTAggie

what have you been smoking?  what kind of wood?

KyNola

Quote from: DTAggie on December 15, 2011, 06:17:35 AM
what have you been smoking?  what kind of wood?
To add to DTA's questions, how long of a smoking period and what is your vent setting?

squirtthecat

Is there plenty of water in the bowl to extinguish the pucks?   If they lay there and smolder, you can get a nasty ashy tasty/smell..    And dump/refill the bowl after you are done with the smoke cycle.

chopperloui

I have smoked everything from cheese to salmon to venison. I usually close top vent about 3/4 or slightly more.. I used oak & apple pucks. I use fresh water in the water bowl for extinguishing the pucks.

viper125

Open your vent wide open!
A few pics from smokes....
http://photobucket.com/smokinpics
Inside setup.

DTAggie

Quote from: chopperloui on December 17, 2011, 04:16:58 PM
I have smoked everything from cheese to salmon to venison. I usually close top vent about 3/4 or slightly more.. I used oak & apple pucks. I use fresh water in the water bowl for extinguishing the pucks.

The vent is your problem.  Leave it wide open on everything!

Quarlow

You have to let the smoke change itself often or you get stale smoke and that is what is giving you the ash flavour. It is like the air in your house. If it doesn't change itself in becomes stale. Most folks smoke at either 3/4 's open or wide open for poultry. The thing is with the Bradleys is that the smoke is so intense and concentrated compared to other smokers that it is ok too lose lots with the vent wide open. You will never be lacking for smoke. So give what the guys say a try and hope it fixes you up.
I like to walk threw life on the path of least resistance. But sometimes the path needs a good kick in the ass.

OBS
BBQ
One Big Easy, plus one in a box.

Habanero Smoker

I generally will us an opening of 1/2 sometimes less, the smoke flow is good and I don't get an ash taste. How much smoke are you applying?

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Tenpoint5

Quote from: Habanero Smoker on December 18, 2011, 01:58:08 AM
I generally will us an opening of 1/2 sometimes less, the smoke flow is good and I don't get an ash taste. How much smoke are you applying?

As Habs is asking I was wondering are you trying to run smoke the whole time your cooking?
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

chopperloui

Thanks alot everyone. I will open that vent &a see how it turn.s out.
Olive this forum.