Brisket help

Started by alpinebeers, December 15, 2011, 09:04:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

alpinebeers

I have a 7 pond brisket I'm planning to smoke on Saturday. This will be my 3rd brisket the first 2 turned out OK but not great. My question is on the amount of cooking time. The last one I did was around 10 pounds and took near 24 hours to cook (to 190 degrees). I had my Bradley set for 220 degrees and it was on the middle rack. Can you guys give me any tips on why it took so long? I am going to plan for 14 hours for this one but am worried it wont be ready in time for my guests. Any tips would be appreciated such as vent opening and tray placement

TomW

I know this is not what you asked, but I gave up on trying to get brisket done at a certain time.  Now I cook a couple of days before, give it a good Foil/towel/cooler period at the end (6 hours), then into the refrigerator.  On serving day, I remove from frig, remove foil, put it into a large oven cooking bag (think turkey roasting bag), and heat at 250 for 1/2 to one hour.  Trim, slice, serve.

I cook at 220 and some take 12 hours, some take 20.  (I wrap in foil at 145-150 degrees internal temp) Some that reach 190 or 195 aren't done then, some are done at 190.

Good luck Saturday!
Tom
I may not know much about cooking, but I know lots about eating...

DTAggie

Better give yourself more time.  Usually 1.5 hrs per pound.  HOWEVER, it can take much longer, just depends on the meat.  If you give yourself more time and it gets done early, wrap in foil, then in a towell, then place in a cooler and you can do this for up to 5 or 6 hours.

Ka Honu

As the earlier responders indicated, times for brisket (and pork butt) vary depending on too many things to try to control (weather, the host cow/pig, etc., etc., etc.).  As a result you can have one brisket done in 8 hours while an apparently identical one smoked separately or even at the same time takes 14.  Both brisket and pork butt reheat very well so the easiest solution is to smoke ahead, FTC, refrigerate or freeze and reheat when needed.

You didn't say how you prepped and smoked the first two or what "not great" means so can't help you solve that one without additional information.

alpinebeers

Thanks for the ideas guys. Sorry for being so vag on the info. They turned out decent one was a little dry the other not quite to the temp I wanted due to time. One I FTC the other I didn't. I think I will start early to avoid any problems this time

TomW

Quote from: alpinebeers on December 15, 2011, 12:58:51 PM
Thanks for the ideas guys. Sorry for being so vag on the info. They turned out decent one was a little dry the other not quite to the temp I wanted due to time. One I FTC the other I didn't. I think I will start early to avoid any problems this time

Try this:  When internal temp gets to about 140-145, wrap tightly in foil with one cup of beer (Shiner Bach...<grin>)...your dryness problem will be solved.
I may not know much about cooking, but I know lots about eating...