High Mountain Jerkey

Started by boxertrio, November 20, 2005, 07:10:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

boxertrio

Doin about 6lb of jerkey tomorrow;2lb original, 2lb hickory, 2lb inferno(all High Mountain mix).  Question is that the directions say 200 degrees for 1 1/2 hours.  This seems hot and short for jerkey.  Any jerkey gods out there with advice?  If it matters the inferno will be beef sticks and the rest will be flat.

Glenn

"You don't need a Hibachi to cook Japanese!"-BMW Motorcycles
--"Fight back! Whenever you are offered violence, fight back! The aggressor does not fear the law, so he must be taught to fear you. Whatever the risk, and at whatever the cost, fight back!" -- Lt. Colonel Jeff Cooper; USMC

SMOKEHOUSE ROB

Glen welcome to the forum. yep 200 is fine with high mountain cure smoke for 2 hours, rotate racks after the 2 hour mark, jerkey will take about 4 1/2 hours, useing HM cure your jerky will look like the stuff you buy in the store, will have a nice deep red look when you bite into it, if you have made home made jerky before that looks all black and dried out and takes along time, useing HM cure wont look like that, trust me on the will be done in 4 hours, let us know how it turns out,

boxertrio

Jerkey turned out good.  Boy does ground beef (97/3) make a mess, an hour of clean up.  A lot of shrinkage (gota hate that) but flavor is good.  4 hours was rite on the mark!  Thanks for the advise Rob.

Glenn

"You don't need a Hibachi to cook Japanese!"-BMW Motorcycles
--"Fight back! Whenever you are offered violence, fight back! The aggressor does not fear the law, so he must be taught to fear you. Whatever the risk, and at whatever the cost, fight back!" -- Lt. Colonel Jeff Cooper; USMC

supa dave

im making high mountain jerky but i dont have the recipe for the amount of cure or the ingreidents does anyone have them???

boxertrio

Whole muscle:

........seasoning.............cure
1lb.....1 1/2 tsp.............2 tsp
2lb.....1 tbs.................1tbs + 1tsp
3lb.....1 tbs + 1 1/2 tsp.....2 tbs
4lb.....2 tbs.................2 tbs + 2 tsp

ground meat

........seasoning..............cure
1lb.....2 1/2 tsp..............2 tsp
2lb.....1 tbs + 2 tsp..........1 tbs + 1 tsp
3lb.....2 tbs + 1 1/2 tsp......2 tbs
4lb.....3 tbs + 1 tsp..........2 tbs + 2 tsp

this is the directions for most Hi Mountain Jerkey

Glenn

White smoke good...Black smoke bad!!

Gordon

Hey yall, has anyone tried the bourbon flavor?

Thanks,

Gordo

thepro8

Quote from: Gordon on December 05, 2005, 02:24:09 PM
Hey yall, has anyone tried the bourbon flavor?

Thanks,

Gordo

Smoking it today for the first time. It smelled amazing. I'll let you know how it tastes tonight. I'm also trying hunters blend.

devo

;D  Good luck on your smoke there bud. I don't think Gord going to care how it turned out since he posted that way back in Dec. of 2005 but I am interested for sure. So let us know with some pic's

thepro8

Quote from: devo on December 11, 2011, 08:05:16 AM
;D  Good luck on your smoke there bud. I don't think Gord going to care how it turned out since he posted that way back in Dec. of 2005 but I am interested for sure. So let us know with some pic's

Lol. Don't know how I got to this old thread then lol. Just tried my jerky. Both favors are amazing! Two of my favorite. Pics to come when I pull them out in an hour.

viper125

Well I'm still here and getting ready to try the original! Pure venison jerky!
A few pics from smokes....
http://photobucket.com/smokinpics
Inside setup.

viper125

Just pulled the first 8 lbs of jerky out. Tried the hi Mountain that a friend sent me to try. Its the original, not bad taste, but personally I find it to salty. Tomorrow another 8lbs of a homemade mix. Its a honey,B.S. and hot! we will see how it comes out. first time with the jerky board and learned a few things. Also this was pure venison. Weighed 8 lbs on the nose with hi Mountain and cure added. Pulled out and reweighed in at 6.5 lbs. So with the Venison I lost only 19% Not bad!
A few pics from smokes....
http://photobucket.com/smokinpics
Inside setup.