Ham Habenero style

Started by cathouse willy, November 30, 2011, 05:34:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cathouse willy

I  picked up 23 lb pork hind leg from my favorite butcher today he cut me an 11lb shank end for a Christmas ham and the butt end is in the freezer waiting.....Hab I did find and include the Juniper berries at your suggestion, they weren't near as bad as I imagined. The pickle is cooling overnite in the fridge. I'll inject and start the brine in the morning. pics as it happens.
Cheers
Willy

SamuelG

Pics Pics Pics!

SamuelG

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
SamuelG

Habanero Smoker

Glad you got the juniper berries. I really feel they make a big difference.

I just did a ham prior to Thanksgiving, and I altered the recipe a little. The other recipe was good, but for my last ham, I reduced the salt and added more sugar. It wasn't done in time to serve for Thanksgiving, but I will be serving it for Christmas. I sampled it and liked it, if I get good responses back, I will make the changes on the recipe site.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

cathouse willy

Finally here are some pictures Just out of the smoker headed for resting time in the fridge. It look's so good it's almost rude.

Habanero Smoker

That has a really nice color to it. After eating some, let me know how the juniper berries worked? Whether or not you notice any change in flavor, and was the flavor difference good or bad?

I
         don't
                   inhale.

SamuelG

Buenisimo!

SamuelG

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
SamuelG

ghost9mm

Dang !!! now that looks like a winner for sure, wanna see it when you cut the bad boy...
Digital Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
The Big Easy with Srg grill
MAK 2 Star General
Char Broil gas grill

SiFumar

Looks great!  How long are you resting /cooling before cutting? Or holding off for Christmas? :(

viper125

Very nice looking ham! Looks as if it will taste great! Waiting to see it sliced.
A few pics from smokes....
http://photobucket.com/smokinpics
Inside setup.

cathouse willy

Early Christmas dinner last night.I managed to get one decent shot during the carving

Quote from: Habanero Smoker on December 11, 2011, 01:43:40 AM
That has a really nice color to it. After eating some, let me know how the juniper berries worked? Whether or not you notice any change in flavor, and was the flavor difference good or bad?
Hab the flavor of the junipered ham is excellent. It got rave reviews from all and it does not taste like gin. It's been long enough since the first ham that my only memory of it is that it tasted dam good.I will add the berries in future hams. I've got leftovers that I'd like to freeze. This started as fresh unfrozen pork, how well will it freeze?

SiFumar

Habanero Smoker

It freezes well. I generally will carve the left overs off the bone into the larges pieces possible and freeze it like that. Or after carving off large pieces I slice it thick. But if you have a vacuum sealer, you can carve it up anyway you like, and it will freeze very well.

I
         don't
                   inhale.