Maintaining a steady temp

Started by firefigther12000, December 16, 2011, 07:48:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

firefigther12000

When you reach desired temp, where do you put the slider to maintain that temperature? Seems I can't find the sweet spot..

ankorklankor

I make micro adjustments until I find the temp I'm looking for.
Relax don't worry, have a home brew.

smoker pete

The main reason many of us bought an Auber PID was to alleviate the problem you're having

This plug-and-play PID temperature controller is for controlling the temperature of the Bradley Smoker and other electric smokers. The original temperature control mechanism of the Bradley Smoker is unstable and inaccurate. For the same dial position, the smoking temperature can vary significantly depending on content in the smoker, the ambient temperature, the wind speed, the ambient humidity, and even the direction of sunshine. This controller uses a PID algorithm to automatically adjust power to the heater, in order to compensate for these disturbances. This temperature control can hold the smoking temperature within one degree precision.

Since I started using the PID I've never looked back:  No more checking and tweaking - add a remote smoker thermometer like the Maverick ET-732 and let the PID do it's work while monitoring the smoker and meat temp from the comfort of your couch  :) :D 8)

Click the Smokin Pig to visit Smokin' Pete's BBQ Bl

firefigther12000

Thank you so much. A definite must have. Does it take over control all together or do you still have to monkey with the slider temp on the bottom?

smoker pete

Quote from: firefigther12000 on December 16, 2011, 09:42:08 AM
Thank you so much. A definite must have. Does it take over control all together or do you still have to monkey with the slider temp on the bottom?

It takes over control all together.  The smoking chamber gets it's power by being plugged into the PID instead of the smoke generator.  The slider is placed all the way to the right and kept there.  The PID then knows when and how much AC power it needs to apply to the heating element to maintain the desired temperature.  Works simply fantastic!!

Click the Smokin Pig to visit Smokin' Pete's BBQ Bl

mikecorn.1

Yep. No fooling with anything.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mike

TedEbear

Quote from: smoker pete on December 16, 2011, 11:17:17 AMThe slider is placed all the way to the right and kept there.

With the PID I don't think it really matters where the slider is placed.  It is no longer a part of the circuit.  This is with the $45 Auber PID, installed in either the SG or a project box.  The plug-n-play may be different.

If someone adds a second element or 900W finned heater they'll want to remove the slider out of the circuit anyway.

Habanero Smoker

Quote from: TedEbear on December 16, 2011, 02:27:07 PM
Quote from: smoker pete on December 16, 2011, 11:17:17 AMThe slider is placed all the way to the right and kept there.

With the PID I don't think it really matters where the slider is placed.  It is no longer a part of the circuit.  This is with the $45 Auber PID, installed in either the SG or a project box.  The plug-n-play may be different.

If someone adds a second element or 900W finned heater they'll want to remove the slider out of the circuit anyway.

If it is an OBS with a single element the slider does come into play. For a second element modification it depends on how you set up the second element. I did not daisey chain my setup and I kept the slider hooked up as it was originally intended. With the OBS, unless you by pass the slider you need to keep it all the way to the right at all times. If you don't then the rheostat will reduce power, and instead of the PID using 500w from that element, you may only be supplying 300w or so.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

TedEbear

When I added my PID controller in the SG box I added a second element at the same time and completely removed the slider out of the circuit.  I just figured that with the PID the slider no longer played any role. I guess if someone is just adding the plug-n-play version or feel they need to add a switch then it would be different.

firefigther12000

How or where do you add a second element?

TedEbear

Quote from: firefigther12000 on December 17, 2011, 02:50:06 AM
How or where do you add a second element?

There are several how-to threads on doing it.  The simple version is you drill two approximately 9/16" holes in the heat shield for the ceramic end to sit in and add a couple of 3-4" loops of high temp wire from the ends of the original element to the new one. Some people get fancy and add a switch so they can run it with a PID controller and both elements or with a single element and the slider control.

Do not add a second element without adding a PID controller.  The original slider temp control isn't designed to handle the higher wattage of two elements.

Additional Heating Element Modification

Some people have replaced the Bradley elements with a 900W finned heater.  There are how-to threads on doing that if that interests you.

Quarlow

Since it sounds like you are going to be in the market for a PID I probably don't need to say this, But just for info sake. The Bradley as is can fluctuate as much as 20 to 25 degrees above or below the temp it is set at. The PID when dailed in will be in the 2 or 3 degree range. PID, enough said. You will not regret spending this dough. It just makes the process so simple. And if you do pulled pork which is usually an overnighter you don't have to worry about the temp swings at all.
I like to walk threw life on the path of least resistance. But sometimes the path needs a good kick in the ass.

OBS
BBQ
One Big Easy, plus one in a box.

Habanero Smoker

Nothing fancy about adding an on/off switch. Just another option if one feels like it, or think that it will come in handy.

Here is the link to:
Additional Heating Element for OBS with On/Off Control

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

anderson5420

I got a Ranco Electronic Temperature Controller from Grainger, it is certainly the best purchase I have made, quite a bit less than the plug and play Auber PID. Both work great.

So many recipes, so little time!

TedEbear

Quote from: anderson5420 on December 20, 2011, 09:12:34 PM
I got a Ranco Electronic Temperature Controller from Grainger, it is certainly the best purchase I have made, quite a bit less than the plug and play Auber PID. Both work great.

How much did it cost?  Auber has PID controllers for $45.  I installed one in my SG box.  Nice and compact and works just fine.