How long to FTC pork butt for pulled pork

Started by Jholliday, December 21, 2011, 01:21:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jholliday

I was just wondering how long you guys are doing the FTC process. I have never done it before and was wondering if this process really makes a difference. I have 15 lbs of Butt to do friday and with all the FTC talk I need to plan ahead.

squirtthecat

I like to let them go at least a couple hours...   Sometimes up to 5. (in thick-walled Omaha Steak coolers)

MidKnightRider

Quote from: squirtthecat on December 21, 2011, 01:23:19 PM

I like to let them go at least a couple hours...   Sometimes up to 5. (in thick-walled Omaha Steak coolers)
"A Constitution of Government once changed from Freedom, can never be restored. Liberty, once lost, is lost forever."John Adams
The Big Easy
OBS
ProQ Smoke Gererator
Little Chief Front Loader
Chair-Broil Electric Smoker
Thermos Gas Grill
http://www.susanminor.org/forums/index.php
BBQ Evangelist

ArnieM

-- Arnie

Where there's smoke, there's food.

ghost9mm

Digital Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
The Big Easy with Srg grill
MAK 2 Star General
Char Broil gas grill

mikecorn.1

I don't have the Omaha steaks coolers. I have regular coolers and as long as u use plenty of towels, the meats will stay piping hot for hours also. Just another option. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mike

Wildcat

I have only FTC'd a butt once just to test if it made a difference. I found that it did not make a difference when cooking on low heat like I do. I average 205 cabinet temp and stop cooking at 175 to 190 internal meat temp. Letting it rest in some foil on the counter while it is cooling seems to help with redistribution of juices. I would only do FTC on a butt to keep it hot until chow time. Nothing wrong with FTC on a butt, but in my opinion unless you are cooking at a high temp there is no need. Different story on Brisket.
Life is short. Smile while you still have teeth.

CLICK HERE for Recipe Site:  http://www.susanminor.org/

smoker pete

Click the Smokin Pig to visit Smokin' Pete's BBQ Bl

FLBentRider

I've found that you don't _have to FTC, butt (pun intended) I always do more than one, and never get done at the same time, nor do they finish right at serving time.

So it is a staging and resting procedure.
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!