Deal or no Deal?

Started by Sailor, December 18, 2011, 11:07:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sailor

Been wanting a jerky gun for a while now.  We have a Gander Mtn about 20 miles away and a Pro Bass about 40 miles away.  So this morning I am looking at the jerky guns on Gander Mtn and they have the small gun on sale.  Normal price is $29 and sale price is $19.  So after breakfast the wife and take a run up to Gander Mtn.  I finds the jerky gun and have it in hand.  There are no Sale signs posted WTH.  Then the wife is in another aisle and says you can get the large aluminum gun for $29.  She said this sign says normal price $49 and on sale for $29.  I puts the other gun down and pick up the large gun and heads to the check out.  Lady rings me up for $49.  Wife puts on her bargin shopping face and says "excuse me?"  "This gun is on sale for $29".  Lady looks in the flyer and says, nope, not on sale.  Wife says have someone meet me in the department.  Off we go, back to the jerky, grinder and stuffer department.  There big as day is the sign advertising the gun for $29.  The department manager says "oops" that sign is not supposed to be there.  Wife still has her bargin hunting face on and says "well it is advertised for $29.  He says Yep sure looks that way and he takes the sign and marches up to the check out.  Tells the clerk to discount the jerky gun $20.  I am a happy camper and the wife now has that "I scored" look on her face and we are happy campers.

Now I get home and have to try out this gun.  I'm a thinkin that there is a art to this.  First 2 screens were pretty rough but by the time I got to the 4th screen I was getting the hang of it.

The $29 gun

Mixed up and gun is loaded

1st frog mat loaded.

The 4 racks are in the smoker for 2 hrs of Whiskey Oak.  Will let you all know how they turn out.

Enough ain't enough and too much is just about right.

FLBentRider

I am about 15 miles from that store.

You are within "borrowing" range. LOL.

I'm curious how it turns out. All I do is whole muscle.
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

Keymaster

Looks like a good one, Nice score!!!

SiFumar

Dem bargain shopping faces always work!  ;D

OU812

Score!

I have one just like that just has a different sticker on it.  ;D

I make ground jerky with it all the time and love it,,,,easy clean up too.

I bought extra tubes and can now shoot out 10 lb of jerky with out havin to refill the tubes.

KyNola

Quote from: OU812 on December 18, 2011, 02:14:58 PM
Score!
I have one just like that just has a different sticker on it.  ;D
I make ground jerky with it all the time and love it,,,,easy clean up too.
I bought extra tubes and can now shoot out 10 lb of jerky with out havin to refill the tubes.
Yep, I have the same gun that Curt has with the different sticker on it too.  Works great.  You will be happy with the long aluminum tube.

Kudos to your wife! :)

NePaSmoKer

Sailor

I was not to happy with the end results.  Operators fault.  I was in such a hurry to do some jerky I did not go to the store to get leaned out burger.  I used the 80/20 that I had and boy did I generate a lot of grease.  Used lots of paper towels trying to get the grease off them.  They are in the fridge wedged in between sheets of paper towels.  Will see how they come out when I get home this afternoon.  Should have used the Kirby defat trick or gone to the store to get leaner meat.  Not sure if the oven would have been a better choice after the smoke instead of doing the entire thing in the Bradley.  No fan kit in my OBS and no dehydrator  ;D

Enough ain't enough and too much is just about right.

Smoking Rebel

Niiice deal....looks a lot like the Weston Brand.

pikeman_95

Sailor
Give the defatting trick a try. If you keep moving it around your mixing tub after adding the vinegar it just keeps sticking fat to the tub. Do all this before you mix in the spices and cure. You will need to weigh the finished defatted meat so that you know the weight that you are working with again.  You can pay for lower quality meat but you are going to throw away a bunch of fat. I would rather separate the fat and not have as much dripping fat in my smoker. In your oven or in your smoker you are taking a chance of a grease fire.
Kirby