Mods started, couple of questions...

Started by phild, December 18, 2011, 06:20:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

phild

Hi Guys,

First, I think I should mention that this smoker, along with the mods and several accessories is my Wife's Christmas present...

Quick summary of the mods I am incorporating into this new OBS:

• Auberins SYL-2352 PID, will mount into the smoke generator
  • Fan from smokeandstuff
  • 900 watt heating element, Tempco CSF00131 from drillspot

So far this afternoon, I have installed the fan and the heating element:

This is a pic with the  fan installed and the original element taken apart:

Pic with the new element installed:

Another pic with the new element installed:

pic of the element attached to the reflector:

Another pic of the element attached to the reflector:

So far so good.

I can plug the fan into the mains and it runs just fine.  You can hold your hand in front of it and feel a gentle breeze.

I can plug the cabinet and consequently the element, into the mains and sure enough, the light in the front comes on and the element heats up.    The rheostat slider was all the way onto full on and I did not attempt to adjust it.

Question.   I am concerned about the slide control and its ability, or lack of ability to handle 900 watts and besides, I think it is now redundant since I will be using a PID.

What do I do?   Do I disconnect it entirely (though I do like the light coming on at the front), and if so, how do I do that?

The following pic shows the bottom off and the wires:

Here the bottom front of the cabinet is to the top of the picture and there are 3 wires which appear to run to the slider control.  A blue, A white and a red.

Can anyone give any suggestions on how to disconnect the slider?   An added plus would be to disconnect the slider while  allowing the light to come on.

Thanks for all help
Phil

kickedback

Take the faceplate off. On the back side the blue wire goes to the temp slider and the white wire goes to the temp slider and jumpers to the light. The red also goes to the light. Unplug the blue and white from the temp slider and connect them together leaving the white jumper going to the light. The light should still work when the PID cycles on and off.

phild

Thanks kickedback.  That is exactly what I wanted to know.  I'll post the results and pix of how I get along...

Best
Phil

kickedback

Looks like you've got a pretty good start at it. Good luck and enjoy.

TedEbear

Here's how I did mine.  The white and red wires go to the LED.  No wires at all go to the slider.

beefmann

kickedback

TestRocket

Good help there guys!

And phild, slick move giving the wife the smoker! Congrats!  ;)

phild

@tedebear and kickedback,  looked just as you guys said and it was easy to make the mod.  After the mod was done, I plugged it in, the light came on and the element warmed up.

@testrocket, well, that is still to be seen. I can only hope.

Ok.  Fan and heater are now complete.  Onto what I consider the hard part... The PID.   Expect a whole bunch of questions.

Thanks guys,
Phil

phild

@tedebear.  I was just looking at this thread and I see you have a button to the right of the PID.

http://forum.bradleysmoker.com/index.php?topic=22065.msg267351#msg267351

What is that for and do you have a circuit diagram?

Thanks
Phil

TedEbear

Quote from: phild on December 19, 2011, 04:49:32 PMWhat is that for and do you have a circuit diagram?

The new on/off switch is for power to the PID controller.  That way, I can run either the SG or the PID independently of each other.  I sent you some email pics of the wiring.

RFT

"Some world views are spacious and some are merely spaced."
N.P.

phild

Thanks RFT.

I used the brackets you made for me, though they are hard to see.  They worked very well.

Thanks again
Phil

phild

Finished the mods today (well almost, still have a couple of things todo) and I thought I would share some pix of the new device.

In this pic, all three switches are turned on and illuminated, along with temps showing on the PID.   The illuminated switch immediately to the right of the PID, turns power on and off to the PID.   The switch to the farthermost right turns the fan on and off.

Now that I look at that pic, I see that I need to do a real good cleaning.

This is the back of the SMG.   Heatsink top right, bolted through to the SSR inside, thermal past on the inside and the outside.   Lower fuse is an extra fuse, connected up to the fan only.  The original fuse still fuses the smoke generator, the PID and the element.  The upper 'hooded' socket is for the fan.   I have another short cable on order which will connect this socket to the fan on the cabinet, which is then switched by the illuminated switch on front.  The yellow socket is for the sensor.

Another pic of the rear:

Rear view of the SMG connected to the cabinet:

Front view of the SMG connected to the cabinet:

Yet another front view:

So that's it.  Everything tested out to be functional, at least as far as i can test it without an actual cook session....

I want to thank everyone that provide advice, help etc...  truly a great community  :)

phild

As I mentioned, this is a gift to my wife for Christmas...   so a couple of pix of all the bits and pieces:

and