Few Ribletts

Started by SiFumar, December 20, 2011, 06:10:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SiFumar

Hubby asked me to smoke a little snack for his coworkers.  Had just defrosted 10lbs of ribletts.  Seasoned with Jan's rub, 2hrs hickory, 2hrs at 200, then butter, light brown sugar and popped in oven for 30 min.  Never used the butter/brown sugar and it was a pleasant surprise.

kickedback

Looks real good. Those are some lucky co-workers and husband.

ghost9mm

Oh !!! heck yeah....I could do them some real damage...lol...
Digital Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
The Big Easy with Srg grill
MAK 2 Star General
Char Broil gas grill

pensrock

I love riblets, hard to find around here. At Wal Mart they had a couple big packages of them, I asked if they could cut one in half and they said no. So I did not get any.  >:(
Yours look great.  :)

OldHickory

Those look good.  Riblets around here this area are a rare display at the market.
Bradley DS4 with Auber PID and dual element mod
Char-Broil SRG
Weber kettle with rotisserie
Charmglow 5 burner with rotisserie pgg
Pit Barrel Smoker

We the people own this United States Of America,and the Constitution is our owners manual.

SiFumar

Quote from: pensrock on December 20, 2011, 07:18:45 PM
I love riblets, hard to find around here. At Wal Mart they had a couple big packages of them, I asked if they could cut one in half and they said no. So I did not get any.  >:(
Yours look great.  :)

Seems like ribletts only come in 10lb bags.  Which is usually to much for us too.  For us, I usually smoke/cook and freeze.

ArnieM

The ribletts look like, well, I want some  ;D  I spend a fair amount of time grazing the meat aisles around here and have never seen them that I know of.

Exactly what are they anyway?
-- Arnie

Where there's smoke, there's food.

SiFumar

Of course I squirreled away a few to try out...just so happens I received a new bottle of sauce today from the Christmas exchange,Rendezvous from Memphis....which is right up my alley in taste..Not sweet! Perfect addition to pork!

Quote from: ArnieM on December 21, 2011, 03:21:24 PM
The ribletts look like, well, I want some  ;D  I spend a fair amount of time grazing the meat aisles around here and have never seen them that I know of.

Exactly what are they anyway?

They are also called "Button Ribs" because of the flat bones. (see below) They are part of the pig, I think, at the back end of the ribs...so actually are not "ribs"  I believe Applebee's coined the work "riblets" But they smoke wonderfully and are surprisingly meaty.

TomW

Learned something today....From Wikipedia:

A riblet is an alternative to ribs. The actual riblet is the portion of a loin back rib (or baby back rib) that is cut off at the top (nearest the back bone) to give the rib a more uniform look. Loin back ribs don't always have this removed. When not removed they have a rounded look to them and are often referred to as baby back ribs. Riblets used to be thrown out by butchers, but have become popular due to their excellent flavor and lower cost.
Button ribs (or feather bones) are often confused with riblets mostly because Applebee's sells these as "riblets". In fact, what Applebee's sells is found just past the ribs near the back bone, just underneath the tenderloin. This cut of meat actually has no bones, but instead has "buttons" of cartilaginous material with meat attached.
Rib tips (or brisket) are found at the bottom of the spare ribs by the sternum. The rib tips have a high proportion of cartilage. The rib tips give the spare ribs a rounded appearance. In an attempt to give the meat a more uniform appearance and make it easier to eat, this piece is sometimes removed, and the remaining spare ribs are referred to as Saint Louis style ribs.
For information on button ribs and rib tips, see Pork ribs.

Now just need to know where to find some....

Tom
I may not know much about cooking, but I know lots about eating...

pensrock

I have had them at Applebees many times when I traveled for work. But since I do not travel anymore, no more riblets. Closest Applebees is 1-1/2 hr away.