Not happy with how cheese has turned out...

Started by chiroken, December 19, 2011, 06:58:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wildcat

As I mentioned in my earlier post on this thread, slicing a thin layer off does work. It is how I salvaged my first batch.
Life is short. Smile while you still have teeth.

CLICK HERE for Recipe Site:  http://www.susanminor.org/

JZ

Wildcat ---- your earlier post is the reason I tried slicing off the outside of the cheese and thanks for the suggestion. It worked very well.

Its now been 2 1/2 months since I packaged the cheese and it is awesome ---- inside and out.

Dalglish

I'm not convinced by these pucks, they have made most things taste inferior to using real wood chunks. Simple as that. I've just opened vac sealed cheese from the end of August and it's not as good as the mass produced smoked cheese you can buy at Safeway, chemicals and all.

If I'm going to smoke anything expensive I won't take a chance on using the Bradley right now.

Now, people will say I'm doing something wrong or I'm just wrong and I can live with that. The thing is I haven't done anything different to what others have done for cheese especially since I hadn't cold smoked before getting the brad. I followed 'tried and tested' steps from this site.

Not impressed at all, that said I'm using it right now to smoke jalapenos to make chipolte spice which has come out fine previously. I like that I can do a very long smoke and just leave it.

Are there other suppliers of these pucks? Is there a shelf life to them? I guess it could be possible that I've simply got a bad batch so maybe I'll try buying another pack in the smallest unit size and go from there.

Wildcat

Some of the wood varieties can be harsh as compared to others. Perhaps it is the wood your using and/or possibly you are applying too much smoke for your taste. I generally like a strong smoke flavor where others prefer a milder flavor. Try apple with less time and see if you like it better.

With hard wood smoking, one has to devote more work into it and it requires closer monitoring than the Bradley. I personally like both hard wood and the Bradley. I prefer some things cooked with hard wood and/or charcoal (such as steaks) and other things I prefer the Bradley (such as pulled pork).
Life is short. Smile while you still have teeth.

CLICK HERE for Recipe Site:  http://www.susanminor.org/

chiroken

I used Alder I think, possible it was apple. Neither I would call a harsh wood, agree? And smoked for 1 hr. After 2 1/2 months still has that aftertaste that commercial cheese doesn't have. It has improved quite abit I will admit. Can't say I'm happy with it and cutting off the outer layer may be good to do for cheese already smoked, can "save" a batch so to speak, but wouldn't never want to waste so much cheese by choice. Wondering if shavings on a hot plate in a cold smoke box attached to the Bradley is the way. I just can't figure out why the ashtray taste occurs...it doesn't make sense. I hear everyone saying give it time but it seems like such a compromise and shouldn't have to happen in the 1st place.
Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take but by the moments that take our breath away.

The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy.

viper125

Well if you goggle cheese tastes like an ash tray you'll find all smokers of all types do it. Has nothing to do with pucks or bradley. When I cold smoke I want heat at 80a or lower. If not the cheese gives off oils that really taste bad. Plus you wont get real smoke to taste like the chemical kinds on cheese you buy. I silent want to. Try less smoke time with milder wood, lower temps. Maybe a since with clean water and dry as soon as you pull it.
A few pics from smokes....
http://photobucket.com/smokinpics
Inside setup.

chiroken

I didn't know all types of smokers give the ashtray taste. I thought I have read here that some use wood shavings on a hot plate and don't have it. I don't have a PID but the bradley temp didn't get above 77^, alder for 1 hr. Don't know how I can do less than that. There was some oil residue on the cheese but not significant amounts. I did dab it with paper towel before vacuum packing it.

I'm stumped why some with say they eat it after 1-2 weeks and it tastes great? There is no mistaking that ashtray taste!

I am also curious why cheese takes on this ashtray taste when nothing else I've smoked does. Anyone else smoked something that has also had this flavour?

I'll be trying some this weekend again, haven't had any in 2 wks. Went in the smoker Nov 20th so that makes it 2 1/2 months in the fridge now.
Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take but by the moments that take our breath away.

The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy.

viper125

Well been doing a lot of reading of different sources and goggling. Seems it happens with real wood and pellets and about every thing. If you goggle it you'll see. I read a tech form that claims when cheese starts fatting out it's a oil that contains Some pretty harsh chemicals. So heat is a big issue. they recommend no more then 80 degrees or less. As far as some liking it sooner then others I think it's just different tastes. n Or different strokes for different folks. Like toast and other things ,some like it lightly toasted and some just plain burns it and enjoys that taste. I have read some have had good results with smoking with apple or cherry for just 20-40 minutes. Some swear 4-6 hours are best. So I would say the lowest heat you can do would be better for you. And maybe 20-40 minutes of smoke. Not positive but give it a try and see if its better. And if I had a little oil I'd wash or soke it in clear water for a while. Just like removing ssome salt it may help with removing oil and strong taste. Will try here also and let you know what happens.
Inside setup.

chiroken

OK, all good info. At some point I will try more smoked cheese. Got quite abit of it sitting in the fridge right now! I'll most likely build a cold smoke box to hold the generator, should be a quick project, to keep the temp as low as possible. Could care less about the amount of colour if it helps cut down on the bad taste. Wish I had a PID but it just doesn't seem in the budget right now. 40 min or 4 hrs of smoke? Now that's a tough one to call!  ;) It isn't the smoke flavour I've been concerned with, that's what I love!

Anyone notice a stronger ashtray taste when they smoke for several hours or do you think that doesn't really have anything to do with it, perhaps it is directly proportional to temperature?

viper125

Just got back from buying more cheese. My smoked is gone. Now I have a wife that only eats the store bought kind. So shes my Guinea pig. I like it right out of the smoker. Now I  find it tastes like an ashtray at first bite. But after that it tastes fine to me and gets better with age. But I had served it at 3 and 4 weeks and others loved it. I have also read to leave it set out unwrapped for 2-3 hours before smoking to help it. So my plan is to smoke at 50-70 degrees with ice if need be. For 20,40,60,80,100,120 minutes. Pulling one piece each time. I'll use apple or cherry this time. And if she says it still tastes like that I'm going to soak it a while. Either in milk or water. Since I learned it has nothing to do with Bradley or the pucks I'm considering there must be a better way to do it. I do know in the factory's that do real smoking they use smoke filters and smoked smoke scrubbers. Haven't got to figure any thing on that. But they claim it eliminates bad oils and tars. Should be a better way though for every one to accomplish it at home.
Inside setup.

Salmonsmoker

I've been following your conversation this morning and had this thought. ;D
If you have the standard Bradley without any mods or a PID, the temperature probe is in the lower part of the cabinet. It may have read the temp. there @ 77*F, but if your cheese was near the top of the cabinet, it would have been in a warmer enviro. Too warm perhaps?
Give a man a beer and he'll waste a day.
Teach him how to brew and he'll waste a lifetime.

chiroken

Quote from: Salmonsmoker on February 03, 2012, 08:15:52 AM
I've been following your conversation this morning and had this thought. ;D
If you have the standard Bradley without any mods or a PID, the temperature probe is in the lower part of the cabinet. It may have read the temp. there @ 77*F, but if your cheese was near the top of the cabinet, it would have been in a warmer enviro. Too warm perhaps?
certainly possible, those with PID's seem to say temp can vary 10-15^ as well it seems. From what I remember I used 2 racks in the #2 & 3 position. I have the digital bradley and honestly don't know where the temp probe is. Bradley not at home right now so I can't even check.

watchdog56

I have cold smoked a lot of cheese with my old 4 rack digital and my new 6 rack digital. In fact the last couple of times in my 6 rack I have not disconnected the smoker box because the ambient temps are around 25 degree here in Minnesota. I usually use apple as wood and smoke for 2 hours. I do use a water bowl for the pucks to distinguish in. Cabinet temps gets around 75 degrees and I do not have a problem with flavor after 3 weeks of vaccum seal in the frig.

viper125

When you cold smoke you don't use a PID or your Bradley. You only use the smoke generator. But it will still raise the temp in the Bradley even with a cold smoke box. If it gets too warm set a bag of Ice on the shelf below.
Inside setup.

Dalglish

Alder, 2 hour smoke, cold smoke adapter, amb temp never above 74F, sharp cheddar, swiss and pepper jack wiped and vac sealed.

5 months in the fridge now, doesn't taste very good. Tastes bitter. I've still eaten the ones I've opened, they're edible but disappointing and I certainly wouldn't serve them up to guests. The choice of cheese maybe?