Alarm!!! Alarm!!!

Started by EZ Smoker, December 20, 2011, 01:41:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

EZ Smoker

I was smoking 6 boneless breasts of turkey according to the plan laid out in the link below by the wise Squirt the Cat
http://forum.bradleysmoker.com/index.php?topic=17342.0

I put the turkey in the smoker at 3 pm.  at about 3:15, I was standing there looking at the PID, when the lights went out.  PID was completely dead, and when I tried to turn it off and back on, the switch suddenly felt very squishy, a problem I had repaired under warranty about 8 months ago.

But that's not the big deal...  I rewired things to work without the PID, but now I'm smoking turkey with 2 heating elements and no PID.  I've never cooked without the PID since I got the 2nd element installed.  What do I need to do to keep from screwing up my turkey?
It may seem like I'm rubbing salt in the wound, but the truth is I'm trying to cure it.

Habanero Smoker

I would not run the unit on two elements without the pid, your are risking a fire. I would just apply smoke to the chicken, then move the food to a grill, oven or pan.

And then think about adding an on/off switch so you can turn the second element off at will.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

GusRobin

Having the additional on/off switch saved me when my PID went out. It is an easy install and would recommend it to anyone who installs the second element.
"It ain't worth missing someone from your past- there is a reason they didn't make it to your future."

"Life is tough, it is even tougher when you are stupid"

Don't curse the storm, learn to dance in the rain.

TestRocket

Ditto what Hab and Gus said!

But a quick thought that might help someone in the future. Pull the back off and break (cut a wire or pull a lug) the connection to the second element and your smoker can be used just like it was new!  ;D

EZ Smoker

Thanks to Habs, Gus, and TR.

I will look into installing the switch.   I'm not much good with mechanical things, but I'll take a look at the instructions, which I assume are on the recipe site, no?

As for the turkey...  I was surprised when Habs said I'd be risking a fire, but I soon realized that it didn't matter how much I turned down the slider; that sucker was heatin' up.  So I used the door to cool the smoker temp until the smoke had finished, then I transferred everything to the oven.  Hovering over the smoker like that is not what smokin' is about.  I've got to get my PID fixed.  And I need to install that switch. 

Thanks again,

Scott
It may seem like I'm rubbing salt in the wound, but the truth is I'm trying to cure it.

viper125

You could just cut hot wire to the new element and insert a switch in the back.  I did mine.
A few pics from smokes....
http://photobucket.com/smokinpics
Inside setup.

Habanero Smoker

Quote from: EZ Smoker on December 20, 2011, 04:07:06 PM
Thanks to Habs, Gus, and TR.

I will look into installing the switch.   I'm not much good with mechanical things, but I'll take a look at the instructions, which I assume are on the recipe site, no?

Thanks again,

Scott

The wiring for the OBS is on the recipe site. I forgot if you have the OBS or DBS; if you have the DBS you will need to install it on the back panel. For my use, it's better on the front, because it is easier to get to, and to visually check it.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

viper125

Quote from: viper125 on December 20, 2011, 04:15:41 PM
You could just cut hot wire to the new element and insert a switch in the back.  I did mine.

Sorry should explain that better. I followed the mod for a switch. But instead of mounting in front I did the rear. I won't be shutting it off unless there is trouble with the PID. And it was a lot quicker. If I find I use it more then I thought I'll just extend the wire to the front. Basically the switch just breaks the hot wire in the second circuit.
A few pics from smokes....
http://photobucket.com/smokinpics
Inside setup.

EZ Smoker

Thanks.  I looked at the instructions for the mod on the recipe site.  I'm not sure I could do that confidently, but I'll take another look at it after Christmas.   I really appreciate the help, and I'll revisit this thread once the missus and I have recovered from the holidays.