Just a little Bacon...

Started by FLBentRider, December 21, 2011, 06:10:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FLBentRider

New Meat manager at my store, I asked for 8lbs of bellies, what He ordered was TWO of these:

There was a slab of ribs, he cut them out for me.

Lets get curing:

I ended up with 4 5.5lb slabs

7 days later..

All I can say is Wow. It has been too long since I've made bacon.

I used the PID to ramp the temp from 120F x 4 hours to 140F for 2 hours, then 150F until the IT was 140ish..
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

squirtthecat

KyNola

Beautiful Randy!  I have about 7 lbs in the frig curing.  Hope to smoke Friday or Saturday.  If they come out as pretty as yours I will be more than satisfied.

FLBentRider

The butcher asked me if I still wanted the other belly, and I said " Sure, Go BIG or go home!"

The Mrs was not as pleased as the butcher, but now that we are fryin' and tastin' all is forgiven.

Larry, are you going to smoke that bacon in the Bradley or the MAK?

Don't hesitate to give a shout out to Pat or I on the PID programming.

MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

KyNola

Quote from: FLBentRider on December 21, 2011, 06:33:12 PM
Don't hesitate to give a shout out to Pat or I on the PID programming.set
Planning to go in the Bradley although it has been kinda acting goofy the last couple of times.  Failure to advance pucks, failure to push burnt pucks completely off the burner, shut off completely for no reason all within the last two smokes.

Thanks for the offer on the PID programming.  I may holler at you.  May just set the Bradley and let it go.  I have a smoke method from Stickbowcrafter that works really well.  Haven't decided yet.  I'm retired!  I've got nothing but time and I am happy about it! :)

FLBentRider

Quote from: KyNola on December 21, 2011, 06:40:57 PM
Don't hesitate to give a shout out to Pat or I on the PID programming.set
Planning to go in the Bradley although it has been kinda acting goofy the last couple of times.  Failure to advance pucks, failure to push burnt pucks completely off the burner, shut off completely for no reason all within the last two smokes.

Thanks for the offer on the PID programming.  I may holler at you.  May just set the Bradley and let it go.  I have a smoke method from Stickbowcrafter that works really well.  Haven't decided yet.  I'm retired!  I've got nothing but time and I am happy about it! :)

I went with the Bradley since I wanted to ramp the temp up slow while I was at work, I did not want it getting done too early in the day, but I needed to get it in early before work.

MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

KyNola

Quote from: FLBentRider on December 21, 2011, 06:46:22 PM
Quote from: KyNola on December 21, 2011, 06:40:57 PM
I went with the Bradley since I wanted to ramp the temp up slow while I was at work, I did not want it getting done too early in the day, but I needed to get it in early before work.
I've smoked bacon on the MAK with really nice results but I'm looking for a more pronounced smoke flavor on this batch so I'm going with the Bradley.  I'll just babysit it. :)  Might get thirsty out there babysitting it. ;)

Keymaster

ghost9mm

Randy your bacon just looks killer to me....got to get some and give it try...it has been many years since we did some...
Digital Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
The Big Easy with Srg grill
MAK 2 Star General
Char Broil gas grill

SiFumar