Disabled

Started by houdini, January 09, 2006, 04:20:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

houdini

Hello, I am disabled and need something that requires less work than the traditional smoker. I have heard good things about the BS but would like some assurance. Is it really as easy as the promo says? I don't mind tending to the meat but I can no longer spend hours watching the smoker.

thanks

Magic Man

manxman

Hi houdini, welcome to the forum.

The BS needs a lot less attention than a traditional smoker. Perhaps not quite as easy as the promo material but then things never quite match company promo material!

Having said it is pretty straight forward.

Setting up the BS is generally pretty easy, food preparation is obviously as easy or difficult as you chose to make it.

Typically after 4 hours smoking the water bowl in the base of the unit needs emptying and replenishing if necessary.

The unit itself will hold up to 8 hours worth of the pucks used for smoking although most people smoke for less than 4 hours. Hot smoking may take up to 12-16 hours to actually cook an item depending on size.

Investing in a remote thermometer would allow monitoring of the smoker and internal meat temperatures from inside your house.

Maintenance and cleaning is all straightforward and minimal, most items requiring cleaning will simply go in the dishwasher.

It does take a bit of time to get a feel for the temperature slider, there are more advanced add on systems available to set the temperature but all cost significantly more $/£'s!

In my view smoking does not get easier than the BS, I would have a good read around the forum topics and then post any specific questions you may have arising from this, one af the experienced members will soon be able to answer your queries.

I certainly have never spent long hours watching the BS.

Hope this helps,

Manxman.
Manxman

Oldman

MM,
First welcome to the forums.

Next, without getting into a long story of my 55 plus years of smokin' I can say that the Bradley is for you.

Does it have to be check on...Yes Sir.
Is it the easy to use... Yes Sir.
Are there addons from other parties that will make it easier...Yes Sir, but at a cost.

The Bradley for whatever limitations other folks speak about or they may point out as "factors of consideration" is without a doubt the best home smoker I've seen...

I'm  a person who as a child started smokin' food with my Grandfather from Poland using a hole in the ground.

If it is out there I have made it, purchased it, or stole the idea.  Could I do a better smoke? Only if I picked out a tree. Cured the wood and went back to a hole in the ground with a tunnel to the chamber. And then it would only be better when I was doing the Polish sausage. Otherwise the Bradley is on par with that system.  What is funny is when I do it both ways it seems I'm the only one who can tell the differance... Maybe I just remember my Grandfather... BTW I'm soon to be 56 years of age.

I do hope you will weight out what I've posted here carefully. Good luck to you in your decision. Even if you pick a different unit you will be welcome here to share your smoke.

Olds

Click On The Portal To Be Transported To Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes~~!!! 

Muskwa

Welcome to the forum Houdini!

I just picked up a BS before Christmas. My use with it so far has been quite limited. I have used and owned several bought and home-made smokers over the years. The BS is certainly easier to use than anything else I have come across. Best of luck with it. Let us know what you decide.

Muskwa

iceman

Welcome Houdini; With the postings I've seen I don't need to say much morew than welcome. I've been at it a little over 30 years and the Bradley almost made me feel like I was a retired pit master. It is easy compared to the rest and I think it would fit your needs very nice. Glad to hear from you and good luck.

Big or small you can smoke'm all!!!

Habanero Smoker

Hi houdini;

I have worked with individuals with disabilities for over 36 years, so without getting personal, the first question that comes to my mind is what is the nature and the extent of your disability. With that information I and or others can more accurately provide you with the information so that you can make a informed decision.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

nodak

Ease is why went with my BS and am not disappointed.  After first use I ordered the Raptor Gure Pkg.I didn't want to watch mine or take the time to get the slide figured out.  Thought it would be here by now, hoping to make some sausage this weekend, peppersticks and maybe some jerky.  Good Luck!!!

Friends think I'm crazy for my investment, as they have all made theirs out of old fridges. But I laugh that I can sleep while they babysit their smokers or don't get consistant product.

"If you're not living on the edge, You're taking up way too much room, so get the he-- out of my way."

JJC

Welcome to the Forum, Houdini!  Without doubt the BS is an exceptionally easy and forgiving smoker to use.  As Habanero says, your specific situation will determine if its suitable for you.  The Guru-Raptor combo, while expensive, is well worth considering since it essentially eliminates checking on the BS and shutting it down (not to mention providing a good night's sleep or allowing you to go away all day if necessary).  If you keep your temp down to less than the boiling point of water, which many of us do, you will probably need to change out the water only once and no more than twice during all but the very longest smokes.  

I've used and seen lots of smokers in the past 20 years, and the BS is by far the easiest to use.

Good luck, and keep us posted on what you decide!

John
Newton MA
John
Newton MA

jaeger

Welcome to the forum Houdini!
One other thing that I don't think was mentioned, a lot of us have our Bradley on a cart so we can just wheel it to and fro. I keep mine in the garage and just wheel it outside the door when I am ready to smoke. I have a table in the garage that I set up when I think I may need some space.
Let us know what you decide!

<font size="4"><b>Doug</b></font id="size4">

headgames

<font size="3"></font id="size3"> Welcome  Iam not here much but when I do read I read alot and if I have questions on a weekend I generaly have resposes from someone within an hour of my post . Truely for me what makes my Bradley great is this forum and its members ALWAYS helpful and responsive . by the way considering your situation here is my favorite thread in the forum entitled Norberts jazzed up smoker
http://www.bradleysmoker.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=2424&whichpage=1

as you can see you can permantly mount a Bradley at any height right in your garage. a little 4' flex dryer duct and a fan .some day when I have a garage  lol  best of luck

If ya go home hungry.........You were at the WRONG HOUSE !
If ya go home hungry ........ You were at the wrong House!!