even more nuts

Started by pensrock, December 23, 2011, 07:20:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

pensrock

I have been trying to find more of the baskets I use for smoking nuts and other small stuff. I can't find them anywhere, now I wish I bought a couple more. I searched the net and found something similar at Amazon but they are not quite the same size of the racks. They have some that are stainless steel but it looks like the only good size is 12x6, which will fit the rack but not completely. I think my racks are 13-1/4x10. Mine fit like it was made for the racks.

So I did decide to do some nuts today. Used my kicked up recipe from Seemore with a new twist.
Rack one: A mixture of Brazil nuts and Almonds.

Rack two: About 20oz. of Pistachios.

Going into a preheated smoker for 1 hr 20 min of hickory, then they will remain in for 2-3 hours.

After coming out of the smoker I'll put them into the dehydrator for an hour or so to finish crisping up.

SouthernSmoked

Looks good Pen.....I really like the trays, where did you get those?
SouthernSmoked
WeQ4u - BBQ Team

KCBS CBJ
(2) - Stainless Steel 4 Rack's with Dual probe PID
1- Digital, 6 Rack
1-PBS
(2) Bradley Cold Smoke Attachment
(2) Backwoods Smokers
(1) Chicken Little

pensrock

I got the trays at Wal Mart a few years ago. Looked for them again yesterday but can't find and. Check my first paragraph in the post.
If you search the web, I searched for: mesh drawer organizers

pensrock

Squirt, I seen those yesterday but one thing I did not like was, PVC Coated.  There is another on on Amazon that is stainless steel mesh that is 12x6. I was looking for something 12x10 or so. I really do not need them, I have 2 that are great but quite a few others here asked where I got them so I have been looking.
These are the ones I thought looked good. I just wish they were a little bigger. But should hold a pound of nuts.
http://www.amazon.com/Design-Ideas-Drawer-Silver-3-Inch/dp/B000209X6U/ref=sr_1_fkmr0_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1324671327&sr=8-3-fkmr0

squirtthecat

Oh, crap.  Didn't notice the PVC coating.   That wouldn't make for 'good eats'..

pensrock

Well they are done and out of the dehydrator, boy are they good!  :)
My version of Seemores Pistachios:
For two pounds of nuts I used:
2 T melted butter
6 T liquid from pickled jalapenos
4 T Frank's X-Hot cayenne sauce
1 T Worcestershire sauce
2 T Starnes
1 tsp salt
2 tsp Soileau's seasoning

I sprinkled lightly with hickory smoked salt before putting into the smoker.

All mixed and into a 225 degree F smoker with smoke rolling.
Ready to come out after an hour-fourty minutes of smoke and another hour-twenty of heat.
I put them into the dehydrator for a couple hours, at 150.

This time I added some Starnes to the mix and sprinkled with some smoked salt before smoking.

squirtthecat

ZING! 

Wow, I bet those were good!

ghost9mm

Greg... Now you getting some serious lookin goodies there partner....I've yet to try nuts of any kind, but you are making me think I want to try them...Merry Christmas...
Digital Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
The Big Easy with Srg grill
MAK 2 Star General
Char Broil gas grill

pensrock

Thanks all.
Gary, these ones have a little bite to them, that is after a handfull it creeps up on ya. I know you said you need to avoid the heat so you should try maybe a bbq sauce instead of the pepper sauce and maybe a good rub instead of the Soileau's. Or you can just take pistachios and smoke them without any seasoning. I love them that way.