Temp control plans

Started by msiler, May 19, 2004, 03:50:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

nsxbill

M. Siler hasn't responded to inquiries-no longer around?  He offered to help others, but maybe overwhelmed with demands of those life and family related non-smoker things, and really didn't want to get into making controllers?   Has been silent for awhile.

To meet my needs for this, I am getting a controller from the following location:  http://www.thebbqguru.com/ramp_mode.htm

They are making up a Bradley compatable unit for me.  I suspect the cost will be around $250 +/-, and if you have another pit, weber, Green Egg, you can get the damper control and use it with the pit.  They make a bunch of different applications.

Will keep all posted on the progress and how it works once I get it.  http://forum.bradleysmoker.co.uk/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=400

Bill
There is room on earth for all God's creatures....right on my plate next to the mashed potatoes.

msiler

Sorry guys....
I have been offline for a while. Had to move to Abilene TX... But I will try to catch up at least once a week..

When in doubt smoke it.

rgardjr

I just got back from the local used appliance place with my free thermostat.  I'll pick up a box and try and put this together soon.  I'd like to mount this to the side of the smoker that the smoke box is mounted to.  Does anybody know if there are any wires inside the smoker wall?  I'm looking for a safe place to drill a hole for the probe and screw in some sheet metal screws.

rgardjr

I did a little browsing through my Mouser catalog and ordered up the following parts for the controller (Aluminum box, male cable 16 Gauge with stripped wires, female cable 16 Gauge with stripped wires):

STOCK NUMBER        ORDERED AVAILABILITY             PRICE  Ext. Price
======================================================================
686-17520           1       1 Ships Immediately      4.650  4.650

686-17514           1       1 Ships Immediately      4.250  4.250

546-1411FU          1       1 Ships Immediately      4.170  4.170

Merchandise Amount: 13.070
Shipping: To Be Determined

http://www.mouser.com/catalog.cfm

Thought I'd post to give some ideas to everyone.

Chez Bubba

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by rgardjr</i>
<br />Does anybody know if there are any wires inside the smoker wall?<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
I don't BELIEVE there are any wires in there but have never hacked one apart far enough to verify that. There is insulation and un-sealing that may lead to some performance issues if it's not re-sealed. (In my mind.)

Kirk

http://www.chezbubba.com
Ya think next time I check into a hotel & they ask "Smoking or Non?" they would mind?
http://www.brianswish.com
Ya think if next time I check into a hotel & they ask "Smoking or Non", they would mind?

Sesh

I'm planning on attaching a piece of flexible magnetic sheeting to one side of the project box so I can just stick it wherever I want on the Bradley.

msiler

I have had mine apart far enough to see where all the wires are. They are all under the back panel and under the unit.

When in doubt smoke it.

Eat This

for $100.00 to $250.00....Ill just slide a switch and keep my warranty....I assume most considering this are out of the warranty period......but to be honest I'm not sure an oven thermostat is really that accurate. I have sold appliances for years now....HIGH end jobbers like $6,000 refrigerators that you cant even fit a Pizza box in...LOL....most regular grade thermostats are gonna be +/- 12 degrees (depending on cavity size and where its located)......so break out the Maverick and save the cash....IMHO.

rgardjr

It's costing me less than $20 to do this.  I'll still use the Maverick to make sure that the temperature is being regulated.

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Eat This</i>
<br />for $100.00 to $250.00....Ill just slide a switch and keep my warranty....I assume most considering this are out of the warranty period......but to be honest I'm not sure an oven thermostat is really that accurate. I have sold appliances for years now....HIGH end jobbers like $6,000 refrigerators that you cant even fit a Pizza box in...LOL....most regular grade thermostats are gonna be +/- 12 degrees (depending on cavity size and where its located)......so break out the Maverick and save the cash....IMHO.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

rgardjr

Well I finally put it all together today.  I'll fire it up when I get home to see how well it works.  I'll keep updating my progress.

msiler

mine has about a + or - 3 degree swing

I did find a cheaper thermostat but it had a swing of close to  + or - 10 degrees. of course it only cost about 40 bucks

When in doubt smoke it.

rgardjr

Well I tested it out a little last night with mixed results.  It would regulate the temperature, but I couldn't get it down to the 200-215 range where I wanted it.  The free thermostat doesn't turn on until about 240.  Anyway, I was looking for thermostats and I came accross deep fryer replacement thermostats and wanted someone elses opinion.  The one I saw had a operating range of 175 to 375 and was set up for 120.  My only concern is that the thermostat capilary is designed to sit in hot oil-I'm assuming that it should work fine in a hot smoker as well.  What do you think?

msiler

It my not work as well due to less efficient heat transfer of air versus oil. but may be wrong. I will be contacting an appliance parts dealer in my new location to see if i can figure out the problem with the part #.

When in doubt smoke it.

pandjspell

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by msiler</i>
<br />It my not work as well due to less efficient heat transfer of air versus oil. but may be wrong. I will be contacting an appliance parts dealer in my new location to see if i can figure out the problem with the part #.

When in doubt smoke it.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Did you ever get an answer as to why the RS-5430-175 part number for the thermostat is not listed on the Partsguy.com website?

Do you have another thermostat part number?

imott

I got no reply so I started my own investigation and found the 5300-615 for about $87. Put it together and it works. Although I have come to discover that having the thermostat regulate when the heating element comes on and goes off might not be the best thing for a constant low and slow cook. What I mean is that when the temp drops and the thermostat switches the heating element on, it comes on at full blast blaring until it reaches temp. Then, when the thermostat switches off, the heating element goes to completely off. Denying the meat from any direct heat. From my understanding, we are trying to emulate old style smoking with a new tech smoker. Fire does not go on and off like this. I am starting to believe that, if one wants tempurature regulation, we might steer away from switching the heating element on and off and toward a method of controlling the voltage to the heating element in a more gradual way. This way the heat applied will be constant.

I have also discovered that the temp swings are much more than the differential indicated on the thermostat (8F) depending upon where in the smoking chamber the thermostat's remote bulb is placed. With the remote bulb hanging in the center of the BS, just below the second shelf right next to the probe on my Maverick, the Maverick indicates a temp of almost 125F before the thermostat which is set to 100F switches off! Then, once the thermostat is off, it does not switch back on until the Maverick indicates approx 87F. Similiar behavior occurs at higher temps as well. These tests have been done with an empty BS. I will be trying them out again next time I do a Pork Butt or Brisket.

Boy...What a mouthful!!! These are just my observations...In search for nothing to do but eat!!!

i