Temp control plans

Started by msiler, May 19, 2004, 03:50:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sesh

I think I found the same thermostat msiler is using at www.patriot-supply.com.  Search for part number 5430-175 and it will come up as a Robert Shaw brand DOM.ELEC.STAT MASTER KIT,60" for $33.63.  With UPS ground shipping my total was $38.21.  I used to have some project boxes but couldn't find them so it looks like I'm off to RadioShack for that.  In doing some research into thermostats on the internet I found manufacturers technical documents that allowed for a thermostat to go as much as 25 degrees over set temperature and be in spec.  If I can get a six degree range (+ or - 3) like msiler describes I'll  be very happy.

msiler

Is it the same??? No not quite.... Will it work???? Most certainly yes it will.

Any oven thermostat will work some will have a bigger temp swing than others.. I just lucked out the one I picked had a small swing.. any helpful local appliance repair shop should be able to help quite a lot.

When in doubt smoke it.

rgardjr

The main reason I was asking was because it showed up when I searched for the part number listed on the first page.  It didn't looked like your ascii diagram so I wanted to check.  I ordered the one from Patriot supply listed on the previos page.  Total was $38 including 2nd day shipping (which I didn't ask for, but got for the ground price).  It will be here tommorow and I'll update when I have some testing completed.

imott

msiler,

Where is the BS do you suggest putting the probe?

i

msiler

I currently have mine fed in through the vent but after my warranty is out i will drill in from the back. of course at that time i will also be doubling the shelf capacity for sausage.... 16 racks of sausage at a time..... mmmmmmm (well that is the preliminary plan anyway.

When in doubt smoke it.

imott

msiler

OK. I got that part from reading earlier in the thread. What I meant was...Where exactly does the probe live once it is inside the BS? Is it mounted somewhere? Does it hang just inside the vent? Halfway down? Right above the heating element?

Thanks again,
i

rgardjr

Received the thermostat from Patriot Supply and upon intitial inspection it looks like the same one msiler has been using successfully.  I test it out tonight.  Hopefully the sensitivity will be as accurate +-3.

Oldman

I might be all wet here, but is there not a dual probe unit where you can manually set the spread? Also I wonder if the unit being turn on and off every minute or so if that would that hurt or shorten the life of the heating unit.

Click On The Portal To Be Transported To Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes~~!!! 

imott

DoW-Oldman
That is what I was discussing in my reply a few posts ago. My idea is to use a PID controller to ramp the voltage up and down as necessary to keep the temp stable at the desire level.
i

rgardjr

Just finished up testing and the new thermostat is working great.  Had an 8 degree swing, which I find acceptable.  I'm planning on doing a shoulder this weekend I'll let everyone know how it goes.