Cold smoked pork chops

Started by KyNola, December 29, 2011, 12:36:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

KyNola

Went out to my butcher's today and had him cut me 6 1.5 inch thick center cut pork chops.  They were about one pound each!  Going to treat them just like cold smoked cheese.  Cold smoke for at least 2 hours and then vac seal and tuck away in the freezer for a couple weeks.  I did this once before and cooked some of the chops right after I had cold smoked them and tucked the others away.  When I cooked the ones that had been tucked away they were WAY better than the ones I cooked the same day they had been smoked. The smoke was much more pronounced in the ones that had been stored.

Oh yeah, I also ordered a case of pork bellies! :)  Bacon anyone?

devo

Wow case of pork bellies, just how many is that? Sounds like a lot.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

KyNola

Actually not all that many.  Average is 8 to a case, at least from the butcher I'm getting mine through.

kickedback

Sounds good. I haven't done them that thick before. Usually 1 - 1.25 inch thick. They are a family favorite around here. I agree, they are always better after they sit a day and good after frozen. I usually do a big batch and keep some in the freezer. What are you using for smoke, apple or hickory? I prefer apple with my chops. I'd like to see a picture of those monsters if you take some. Enjoy.

KyNola

Typically I'm a hickory kind of guy.  However I like apple on pork too.  These are getting hickory though! ;D

rooster85

Im about to smoke some chops today. What temp did you smoke at?

KyNola

I cold smoked them and the ambient temps was around 40 degrees so I just turned on the smoke generator and tried to keep the temp in the tower at around 80.  To help I put a gallon ziplock bag full of ice in the tower to help hold the temp down.  If it climbs on you, you can always open the door about a half inch to help the heat escape.  You will lose some smoke but there will still be plenty in the tower. 

rooster85

thank you kynola, i hope they come out well. Have any experience smoking a pork roast?

KyNola

Quote from: rooster85 on February 03, 2012, 10:26:11 AM
thank you kynola, i hope they come out well. Have any experience smoking a pork roast?
I have done pork butts for pulled pork and I have also smoked a pork loin.  The loin is as simple to do as a butt.  Apply Rub of choice and into the smoker at 225-250 degrees rolling smoke for a couple hours.  Continue cooking until the IT of the meat hits 140-145.  Remember, this is for a pork loin and not tenderloins.  Tenderloins will cook much much quicker.

Bear in mind if you decide to cold smoke the chops you will need to fully cook them later, such as on your grill.

KyNola

Just noticed in a different thread you are talking about cooking the chops and the roast at the same time.  If you are going to do that you don't want to cold smoke the roast.  If you are going to do them at the same time you need to hot smoke them.

ghost9mm

Whatca gonna stuff them nice pork chops with partner...
Digital Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
The Big Easy with Srg grill
MAK 2 Star General
Char Broil gas grill

rooster85

Thank you kynola, i appreciate all the help and info. Ive got the bradley warming up right now. Pics to come later.