Newbie Jerky Making??

Started by bluearc74, December 29, 2011, 12:54:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bluearc74

Hey all. I just recently purchased a four rack digital smoker and want to make an attempt at my first recipe at doing some jerky. I was going to try the Wild West Jerky off of the Bradley cookbook, but cant get any of the Honey cure locally. Is there anything i can use in its place or possibly another recipe that someone could share with me that they have tried out to be tested and true?

Cheers

bluearc74

Actually found the Honey Cure. So now all I need to know is if anyone has actually tried this recipe? I am going to start it tonight, marinade it till friday afternoon since I wont have time to start it till friday evening anyway. Any helpful hints would help. Thanks in advance..

Cheers

KyNola

Periodically rotate the racks front to back and top to bottom.  Depending on what temp you intend to dry your jerky it can take several hours so patience is important.

bluearc74

Yeah I have read that in a few places, or install a fan to circulate the heat evenly hey? So even if it is laying on the wire mesh racks I still need to rotate front to back? In the bradley wild west recipe it just mentioned to flip the meat. I will rotate anyways as to even it out. Thanks again. Made up the Wild West recipe for the jerkey last night and had a taste of the sauce and it was very yummy. Tonight I plan to smoke it. I have about 3lbs of meat sliced so will end up with probably 1.5lbs of jerky once I am done. Cant wait.

Mxpunk64

Quote from: bluearc74 on December 30, 2011, 09:39:49 AM
Yeah I have read that in a few places, or install a fan to circulate the heat evenly hey? So even if it is laying on the wire mesh racks I still need to rotate front to back? In the bradley wild west recipe it just mentioned to flip the meat. I will rotate anyways as to even it out. Thanks again. Made up the Wild West recipe for the jerkey last night and had a taste of the sauce and it was very yummy. Tonight I plan to smoke it. I have about 3lbs of meat sliced so will end up with probably 1.5lbs of jerky once I am done. Cant wait.

I've been successful with a couple of batches of beef jerky. I have an OBS with the added digital PID but no fan. I did have to rotate and turn my racks. The Bradley (as far as I know all models) runs hot on the bottom near the heat element. The first batch I did was not rotated and the bottom rack was done almost to the point of burning.

I cut my strips 1/4 inch thick and set the OBS to 150 smoke over hickory for 1 hour and 3 additional hours of heat usually does the trick.
A slice of heaven is a slice of smoked meat!