Trial and error

Started by willis5, January 11, 2006, 02:53:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

willis5

Well error...

I smoked some thinly butterflied backstrap medalions for 2.5 hours at 225 Deg... yeah, I turned it into jerky... I think it was too hot for too long, whatcha think?
-Willis

JJC

jerky is good . . . [:D]

great attitude, Willis!

John
Newton MA
John
Newton MA

willis5

It was good, but dry like jerky when i wanted it moist. I kept the vent closed at the top, but do you think it was too hot? too long? or both?

SMOKEHOUSE ROB

willis, common sense would lead you to beleave that if you close the vent it would leave it moist, i have been playing around with jerky and start to beleave that when the vent is almost closed in the first 1 to 2 hours it will dray out the moister out of the meat giving it a wet look ( cooking from the inside first then start working on the outside) then start to open vent to dry it, when vent is open in the start it will start to cook from the outside first to the inside,i think that is what happend in your case of try to just cook it or steam it.

click on link to sign up for the 2006 free givaway. http://www.bradleysmoker.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=2809

Gordon

ouch! it aint like you can get those things at the store!

when I make jerky in the oven, I cook it at 200 for about 2 hours.  I'm guessing....yeah, you over cooked it.  How thin are the butterfly-ed medallions?

Better idea, in my humble opinion, may be to cold smoke them then grill them.

Num num nummers!

Gordo
Unskyled layber

willis5

they were really thin. 1/3"

Phone Guy

Well 1/3" is jerky size.
I might make a suggestion. For a thin piece of meat like this, try about 20 min (1 puck) smoke then out to a hot pan for about a minute or so on each side. I think you'll get the smoke flavor and an edible piece of meat. There is no need to preheat the smoker since you're going for flavor not cooking. I have not tried this but it sounds good.

iceman

Phone guy is right on the money. Been there and done that. It works great.[^]

Big or small you can smoke'm all!!!

seabjorn

Yo Willis
Gotta go with the PG on this one.  The 1/3" medallions are definite candidates for a quick saute in a very hot skillet.  Heat your skillet, add equal amounts butter and oil, heat the oil combo until just about smoking.  Season the medallions well with salt/pepper, add to the pan and cook quickly, maybe a minute per side.  Don't crowd the pan, it will lower the cooking temp and steam rather than saute.  Do the job in batches if necessary.
The idea to cold smoke for about 20 minutes, 1 puck, makes great sense, too. This method should give you a quality meal.
Good luck.
Seabjorn

seabjorn

Yo Willis
Gotta go with the PG on this one.  The 1/3" medallions are definite candidates for a quick saute in a very hot skillet.  Heat your skillet, add equal amounts butter and oil, heat the oil combo until just about smoking.  Season the medallions well with salt/pepper, add to the pan and cook quickly, maybe a minute per side.  Don't crowd the pan, it will lower the cooking temp and steam rather than saute.  Do the job in batches if necessary.
The idea to cold smoke for about 20 minutes, 1 puck, makes great sense, too. This method should give you a quality meal.
Good luck.
Seabjorn

JJC

Welcome, Bjorn. . . like your idea for the venison

John
Newton MA
John
Newton MA

seabjorn

Thanks for the welcome John.  I hope Willis' backstrap turns out good, that's a damn fine piece of meat.
Bjorn

Phone Guy

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"> that's a damn fine piece of meat.
Bjorn
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

There is a joke in there somewhere.

willis5

I think I just got carried away!

I tried again and PG's advice was the ticket. I had a garlic rub that I seasoned with and they were the best! Thanks!
Willis