Concerns

Started by Georgia Chad, December 30, 2011, 07:27:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Georgia Chad

Hi everyone,

Now I am a member on all kinds of boards ranging from cars, fishing, engineering, etc...   It seems with nearly all "product" related boards it seems like all you read is product horror stories about people needing help with something that went wrong or broke.

It seems this board typcically talks about bad heating elements, door seals, etc...

I realize when the smoker is working there really is nothing to write about.  It's kinda like sitting in a doctors office and thinking the entire town must be sick. 

So, the question I have is how many people have never had any issues with their smoker?

I am in no way trying to start any propaganda, bash Bradley, or anything malicious.  I am just curious to see how many people can chime in to say that they have not had any issues with their smokers.

Thanks in advance.
-Chad-

KyNola

My BDS 4 rack is almost 5 years old.  The heating element is original and working fine.  The door seal is original and working fine.  The door is original and working fine.  The faceplate is original and not cracked.  The hinges are original and have not broken off.  My BDS still easily heats to 250+.  The only mod I made to it is I recently installed a rail sytem so my 4 rack is now an 8 rack.  Other than that, all original.

As you stated, generally when something is working as it should you never hear about it but let something go wrong and you hear it loud and often.

GusRobin

I don't think this is a very reliable poll. People have found this forum for two reasons. (1) people who have had problems with the Bradley and went looking for help (2) people who had problems with cooking and recipes and went looking for help. (3) people who stumbled across it or were told by word of mouth. There are many, many, people that have had neither and have never found this place. So I think your data will be skewed.
I for one found this place via a friend, and also had problems. But all my cooking issues were answered by the forum members and all my Bradley problems were handled swiftly by Bradley ( one even after the warranty ended).  The heating element issues are behind them. I know there are still some stragglers and if you are one of them it doesn't make you feel any better.
"It ain't worth missing someone from your past- there is a reason they didn't make it to your future."

"Life is tough, it is even tougher when you are stupid"

Don't curse the storm, learn to dance in the rain.

Jim O

My digital 4 racks is 3 years old and I've had no issues what so ever. Original element,door seal etc. Don't use a PID and have no problem maintaning temps. Love it !! Mind you,I only smoke about once a week.

Jim O
- smoking
-boating
- motorcycling
- how do I find time to sleep !

viper125

I have quite a few smokes on mine even thought it is less then a year old. But I have never had a problem with any thing on it. To the point I've started modding even though it's still under warranty. I do think the reason you see so many complaints is they come to find help. I also believe that most people never find this site. Probably most the guys who have smoked before using the Bradley find it so easy they don't think they need this site. I know i've told quite a few. Also I'm thankful to be here also!
A few pics from smokes....
http://photobucket.com/smokinpics
Inside setup.

TedEbear

Quote from: Georgia Chad on December 30, 2011, 07:27:04 AMSo, the question I have is how many people have never had any issues with their smoker?

As others have previously stated, an online forum tends to draw more people with a problem who want to vent or are looking for a way to fix it than the people who are happy with their smoker, car, motorcycle, TV, etc.  I always do a search of reviews whenever I'm ready to buy a product that's more than $100 to see what others who have bought it before me have to say.  I take into account what I just mentioned.

Keymaster

I have a Bradley six rack and have not had any problems with it. It is about a year and a half old. Best smoker I have ever owned!!

beefmann

i have had my obs  since 2007 and my  ownly  complaint is the bottom face plate broke , other then that  no issues

Georgia Chad

Quote from: GusRobin on December 30, 2011, 07:41:02 AM
I don't think this is a very reliable poll. People have found this forum for two reasons. (1) people who have had problems with the Bradley and went looking for help (2) people who had problems with cooking and recipes and went looking for help. (3) people who stumbled across it or were told by word of mouth. There are many, many, people that have had neither and have never found this place. So I think your data will be skewed.
I for one found this place via a friend, and also had problems. But all my cooking issues were answered by the forum members and all my Bradley problems were handled swiftly by Bradley ( one even after the warranty ended).  The heating element issues are behind them. I know there are still some stragglers and if you are one of them it doesn't make you feel any better.

Hi Gus,

You are absolutely correct about skewed results.  I guess I could have mentioned that initially.  This really is not intended to be a "scientific" poll, more so a praise to the product(s) and a little evidence that not everyone's smoker has had issues.  I don't think contacting and polling everyone who ever bought a BDS is reasonable, so I really only want to hear from people on this board.

To be honest, I almost didnt pull the trigger on my machine after I found this board and saw so many people with issues.  But I figured it was no different than most other "product" forums with people generally just looking for help while the people who had everything under control staying quiet in the background (or posting rub recipes  ;)).

Anyways, thanks for everyone's feedback so far.  Lets keep them coming!

SouthernSmoked

I own (2) stainless steel units and (1) 6-rack unit. I'm also thinking of added another 6-rack unit.

Love my Bradley Smokers.
SouthernSmoked
WeQ4u - BBQ Team

KCBS CBJ
(2) - Stainless Steel 4 Rack's with Dual probe PID
1- Digital, 6 Rack
1-PBS
(2) Bradley Cold Smoke Attachment
(2) Backwoods Smokers
(1) Chicken Little

viper125

Personally I think the smoker is great! But I salute the people that make and run this site. I have no idea how much a person would have to spend to get this much education from so many experts and long time smokers. You have a problem they tell you how to fix or mod,you need a recipe they share, Don't know how to cure or smoke they will inform you,Got a cut of meat you dont know they will let you know. Need a friend or a secret Santa this is the place to be. Id give what I payed for my smoker to get all that and it's a one time fee.
Plus Bradley Support sounds A1 from what I know.
A few pics from smokes....
http://photobucket.com/smokinpics
Inside setup.

mikeradio

4 rack OBS, smoker genertor for my custom built, and 4 OBS heaters used in the custom built.

Not one problem in 4 years

Rainmaker

Mine is almost three years old with no problems.  The reason I joined this site is because of the excellent help you get on it and the great ideas for trying something different - smoking that is.

NePaSmoKer

I have 4, even the propane and have had 0 problems.

If someone said here you can have 10 new MES if you get away from your Bradley.

WELL

I guess i would be building a fire cuz MES got nothing on Bradley

IMHO Bradley is the best electric smoker out there.

Someone kick me off da box  :o

ghost9mm

POW !!! your off the box ...my turn on the box, what Rick said X 2
Digital Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
The Big Easy with Srg grill
MAK 2 Star General
Char Broil gas grill